Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

CO winter's got me worried!!

Hey skoolie community!

Between working long hours as a nurse and traveling over the next month or so I will only have a handful of days to get work done on my Skoolie. I still have to do some work on the walls/windows as well as fill holes and paint the metal floor. Then comes electric/plumbing before insulation and building the interior. I'm worried about the temperatures here in CO during these next steps. On average, it will be anywhere from 15-50 degrees F. Will this cold weather require me to put some of these steps on hold for a while or can I work around it? I greatly appreciate any and all feedback!!

AKTrainum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
A lot of paint requires temperatures above 50F, so that will probably be the main limiting factor (along with your intestinal fortitude) for how much you can get done.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
Certain chemicals (paint, foam insulation, caulk, etc.) need warmth to function properly. Everything else depends on your comfort level.

Last winter, I spent days working on my bus at temperatures between -20 and -10 fahrenheit. I installed propane tanks and lines, mud flaps for the tires, underbus storage boxes, etc. I just wore lots of long underwear and took occasional breaks to warm up. At -20, your tools can freeze solid, a lot of materials get brittle, and you can get contact frostbite, but it's workable.

This winter, I'll do it again. I have 3 weeks in North Pole, Alaska to get my bus ready to drive the ALCAN. Average high that time of year is 0 fahrenheit and average low is -20. I'll make it happen.

At 50 degrees? Positive 15? Just buy some warm clothes and a hat.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Pretty much any chemical process is gonna be affected by the temperature. paint, adhesives, rust converters even... Some of those things take multiple days to complete their process so even warm days with cold nights could pose a real problem.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Pretty much any chemical process is gonna be affected by the temperature. paint, adhesives, rust converters even... Some of those things take multiple days to complete their process so even warm days with cold nights could pose a real problem.
Hmm, I need to go look at just the storage requirements for the stuff I'm using, paint, ospho, sealant etc. It's all just in my unheated shed right now.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTrainum View Post
some work on the walls/windows as well as fill holes and paint the metal floor.
You can strip rust off the floor, but you probably need to wait for a few days of warm weather for the rust converter and paint. Filling holes depends on the technique. Caulk won't set up properly if it's too cold (check the label), but welding is probably fine. Riveting could work also.
Quote:
Then comes electric/plumbing before insulation and building the interior.
No issues with electrical.

You are probably fine to install plumbing also unless you're doing something really interesting. Testing plumbing just requires that you pick a day above freezing (or use nontoxic antifreeze).

Foam insulation requires warm temperatures. XPS/EPS boards can be cut in any weather, though glue could cause problems if you want to use it.

Building the interior is fine too for most techniques. There's no issues with carpentry, mounting appliances, etc.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote