Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3500 vandura
Engine: 6.5L GMC
Rated Cap: 16
coleman camp chef?

I'm planning my kitchen and am going back and forth between a drop in propane RV cook top supplemented with the use of a folding Coleman oven and the Coleman Camp Chef Combo

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Cam...man++camp+chef

which has the oven already incorporated. I won't vent it but it would have a window directly above it. I would also line the space the camp chef sits in with hardibacker cement board or sheet rock for fire prevention. Possibly add reflectix to in there somewhere. Has anyone used the Camp Chef combo in their bus conversion? Or the folding camp oven?

Many Thanks!

jennynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Hi, I went with a magic chef drop in top by magic chef (from campmor) and a small microwave which gave me more storage/cabinet room.
Any heavy cooking will be done outside on a campfire and I plan on having an outdoor sink and 2-burner top.
I am involved in Boy Scouts with my boys and we camp every month so I love a Dutch oven and my several varieties of Coleman camp stoves and you can make any stovetop an oven of sorts by using tinfoil as a tent over the top just leave some corners open a little so the flame can breath and 35-45 min. Later the baked taters are done.
Good luck
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
That's a neat little unit. I might have to do a slight re-design of my kitchen counter to accommodate one of those so the burners on top sit just above counter height. I'm amazed by the price too... just slightly more than a set of built in burners...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
I like that combo unit.... I might have to go with that for my kitchen.... have a spot set up to use it in the bus and look built in, yet still be removable to take it with me when I want to go tent camping. Of course no 1 lb cylinders, gonna hook it to the big tanks.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
the oven is junk, no way to control the heat. a friend bought one and its worthless. im going with an rv unit
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:22 AM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 84 pass 36200 gvw
I have been using one of these for years at hunting camps. They actually work quite well but they are not set it and forget it types of stoves. They have a thermometer to show the oven temp that you have to check every ten min or so and adjust where you want it. I use this stove to cook for 10-12 people.
snonut is offline   Reply With Quote