Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #1

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 7.6L
Rated Cap: 65
Colorado Registration questions and insurance.

Just bought my skoolie and I'm seeking info on getting it registered. The dmv website is crap and some of the stuff on here for colorado is almost a decade old. Anyone have any recent experience with this. On a side note if anyone has insurance questions I have the number for a guy at National general insurance. They were very helpful and got my policy set up right away, just message me for the info.

SOCO84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Colorado Registration questions and insurance.

the rules are vague but its easier than it looks.

i forget exactly, but you need to sign an affidavit stating that you have converted to a rv. it needed to have like ~~ 5 of 8 things on a list they have... i dont remember exactly.
they vehicle likely needs a vin check but no one checks the vehicle for the rv modifications, you just swear that its done.
find the rules.....
then go apply for plates, fill out the affidavit with your rv modifications and pay the fee.
State farm insured mine with out issue
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

Year: 1981
Engine: DT466 7.6L

Ya, didn't think there'd be much to it. Just not looking forward to talking with dmv people. The insurance company was super easy to work with, they just want to see that the seats are removed first thing to keep the policy valid. Then I just have to show progression on the conversion.
SOCO84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800
Engine: IH DT466e

I registered by my bus as an RV last September in Arapahoe county. I didnt have any problems (besides the sticker shock of $867 to register ) getting my bus registered as an RV, and get plates. I do, however, have a few tips for you:

1. ALWAYS refer to your vehicle as a motorhome (in the presence of any kind of government official). You are registering a MOTORHOME, not a bus.
2. Be polite, but not overly so.
4. Dress nicely - not saying you need to wear a tie, but you will definitely get more resistance if you look like a dreaded hippie trying to register his bus.
3. Have all your paperwork in order when you get there, you dont want ANY reason for them to take a second glance at you. Title and Bill of Sale are required, BOTH need to be signed and dated by the seller you bought it from. You will also need a VIN check from a local dealership (FREE at GO dealerships!) if the vehicle is from out of state.
4. I assume your conversion isnt done (as mine wasnt when i needed to register it as an RV) - if they ask, and they did ask me, your bus meets all the requirements to be classified as an RV:
-dedicated sleeping area
-Running water
-Cooking area
-Bathroom / waste system
-120v electrical system

The lady behind the counter simply asked me if the vehicle had everything listed above, she didnt actually go out to the vehicle and check. To be classified as an RV in Colorado you need to meet 4 of the 6 requirements (5 listed above, i cant remember the other one off the top of my head). I called the Arapahoe county DMV and they were very helpful in finding the needed requirements - i imagine your county DMV will be just as helpful.

As far as insurance goes, i highly recommend National General - that's the only place i could actually get insurance for my bus conversion. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, dont get insurance from Progressive - they took my money and then promptly cancelled my policy two weeks later, and then took an additional 4 weeks to get my money back - PRORATED, ofcourse for the two weeks of coverage they provided me - read: screwed me out of. F@ck those guys. I would also recommend that you get the RV package from AAA. I called and talked to their customer service and made sure that a bus conversion would be covered under the policy, and they are. It's $179 for a year, but the benefits will pay for themselves if you have to use it even once.

Best of luck. Post lots of pics of your progress - we all love to live vicariously through each other's projects.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Good Sam has a good towing service too.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #6

Good info enthe0gen, thanks
fablabcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:40 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 78 passenger
Dang. $867 for registration? Did you buy it privately or from a dealer/auction? I had to pay taxes at the auction when I bought mine, hoping it'll be a little more reasonable.
Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

my first time Colorado registration was around $200, each years since the plates are about $150.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Wayne
Engine: dt466/5 speed spicer
Rated Cap: 72
what about CO emission tests? can skoolies with mechanical 466s pass?
slideforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

charlesM has described the emmissions on another thread. if i recall that was $110, im not on the front range in the emssions area, so i've never done that, but you will need to.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Wayne
Engine: dt466/5 speed spicer
Rated Cap: 72
thanks, googling it now
slideforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Ill be registering and retitling mine as a mh in co this next week. Should be easy, what county are you in? Mind sending me that ins number?
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Hell yeah it will pass! Unless its a real smoker. I use Diesels Only for my e tests. You'll need it weighed, vin inspected, and emissions tested along with your statement of fact about it being converted, and proof of ins. My buses run about 150-20 per year for reg in Adams county
Old 07-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #14
Almost There

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 78 passenger
The certificate I got with mine said it cost $85 and was done at a place on Alameda, just west of I-25 (Diesels Only?). Not sure if they make any distinction between engines, but they listed mine as an International (my bus is a Thomas body, CAT engine).

My muffler and tailpipe were rotten and it passed anyway, so I don't think they're too picky...
Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford-Thomas
Engine: 8.2 Detroit
I'd like to add to this thread, as I've been in touch with the Colorado Department of Revenue recently about their converted RV requirements.

I specifically asked them about a revised statute that covers this. It took them about 24 hours to get back to me, but I was told by the DoR that there is no revised statute that specifically covers RV conversions. They did send me the following, which is their guidance when you ask them (copied verbatim from the paper they sent me):

Quote:
Modifying a Complete Vehicle to a Motor Home
To qualify as a motor home the vehicle must contain permanently installed independent life support systems. It must provide at least four of the following facilities:
* Cooking
* Refrigeration or ice box
* Self-contained toilet
* Heating and/or air conditioning
* Potable water supply system including a faucet and sink
* Separate 110-125V electrical power supply and/or LP gas supply

When a complete vehicle such as a van or school bus, is modified or altered and does not incorporate four of the above additions, it would retain the original body style, and does not qualify as a motor home.

A DR 2444 Statement of Fact must be completed by the applicant listing the modifications completed on the vehicle
A certified weight slip is required
A DR 2698 Verification of Vehicle Identification Number is required
And for anyone that doesn't know, diesel emissions is on a by county basis. Counties near Denver usually test, but outside of that they don't(I know Weld county does not).
Speedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:38 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 66
Not to awaken an old post, but I'll be going in the beginning of November to register mine as an rv. I'll report back and share the experience. I'm in arapahoe county BTW.

I'm being forced to take a day off work for emissions because I can't find anyone who will do the heavy duty test on a Saturday. Also I was "informed" that the vin verification wasn't needed if previously registered in CO. Is this true? I want to make sure if I need one to get one so when I go to DMV I have my ducks in a row. however I'm not excited about driving the thing all over town since Denver feels like LA lately when it comes to traffic, but a day off of work takes months in the making...no lunch breaks, no days off period, hence the ensuing bus life...

Thanks y'all
Destroymix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford-Thomas
Engine: 8.2 Detroit
VIN verification should not be needed if it is a Colorado title. I've only had to do that for our of state vehicles before. If, for some reason, you do need a VIN verification, many Sheriff's offices do them for free.
Speedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Since youre changing the title type, i bet apples to nuts you will need to show a vin verification. The emissions place will do that for you, so will most title/reg offices if you're a resident. My title was colorado and I still needed one when i changed. It was also adams county. You'll need a weight slip from a certified scale, too. Along with insurance and the e test.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 66
How did you folks do your statement of fact? I'm not very good at short and to the point and have tendency to ramble.
Destroymix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:38 PM   #20

Could someone from Colorado who's gone through the whole process outline what one needs to do from the time you get to the lot to purchase a bus to being able to legally drive it where ever one wants? So for example how to make sure you can drive it off the lot, when and how to get it registered (re-registered?). What do you have to do as far as emissions go? Do you have to do something with the VIN? Did you ever need a CDL? etc.
GlassOrange is offline   Reply With Quote