Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 12:55 AM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakemfree View Post
Remember an approx number in the fee? Going in on Tuesday!
The list is like this, 4 out of 6:
1- Cooking
2- Potable water
3- Fridge
4- Toilet
5- 110volt power
6- Heat and/or AC

DR 2444 "Statement of fact"
Certified Weight slip under 26,000 lbs
DR 2698 VIN Verify with police $50

My build is on Instagram @divinetribe111

I went and looked back at my quicken, and I show that i spent $100.17 on 2/05/19 to the county clerk for plate renewal for my 30ft 30k GVWR bus. Looking farther back looks like i paid $300.27 during initial registration, which should have been sales tax, and transfer or change fees, plus plates for a year.

Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #62

For reference, cost me $525 dollars for Title AND Plates, paying 8% tax on $4,500 bus. Seems a good way to save would be writing a much lower sale price on the title than actually paid.
Drakemfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #63

Hey All-

A couple questions to this with a different caveat. I'm looking into getting a ~20' short bus or shuttle bus to use as a portable music production studio.

With the 20' size, and or under 15 passengers, is it possible to title it is a non-CDL work van? Other than being under 26000 GVW, is there anything else I would need to look out for with that?

I want to be able to use it as a tax write off (I have a fully built out recording studio as my main source of income), but would prefer to avoid CDL hassles. I'd be taking 3-4 people to a cool location to focus on writing and production.

If the MH designation makes more sense, can I just put a camp stove, camp toilet, 120v and HVAC inside? Or do you even have to show the equipment beyond just signing the affidavit?

Thanks!
RyanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #64
Mini-Skoolie

My total for 40’ under 26,000 was $218.00. I was told MH won’t apply if I intended to have passengers. Ditto for insurance.
rognyt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:54 PM   #65

As long as your under 26,000 lbs and 16 passengers, you do not need a CDL (in CO)

If you want to be a "Motorhome " as well, you need 4 of the 6 checkpoints for the "VIN Verification" (□ Cooking □ Potable Water □ Toilet □ 110v Electric □ Fridge □ Heat/AC)
But honestly, I paid $30 at the emissions place instead of $50 with police, and they were like "looks like a Motorhome to me" that's realisticly what it came down to.
Felt like the police was gonna be a dick about it too, considering he turned me away when I was 5 min late haha, they don't deserve the $50 anyway =P
Drakemfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #66
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
As long as you are under 26k, and 15 passengers or less, you have no CDL worries.

Vehicles under this can be used as work vehicles, but don't require the CDL. They do probably require you to specify its for commercial purposes for your plates and insurance, as I am sure they will stick you for a bit more.

You can have a motor home that is used for commercial purposes as well, I have met a few that have conventional RV's that do that as a tax write off, but I also assume they were all under 26k so they don't have to hassle with CDL and CDL rules.

You can change the title to a motorhome with the "Statement of fact"

and a trip to the DMV, but I think if you don't actually have the RV stuff in it you are in danger of your insurance asking for pics of your RV, and you send pics of a recording studio instead, and then you are without insurance.

Out of curiosity, do you think you will be able to sufficiently sound proof your bus to make a decent recording studio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCo View Post
Hey All-

A couple questions to this with a different caveat. I'm looking into getting a ~20' short bus or shuttle bus to use as a portable music production studio.

With the 20' size, and or under 15 passengers, is it possible to title it is a non-CDL work van? Other than being under 26000 GVW, is there anything else I would need to look out for with that?

I want to be able to use it as a tax write off (I have a fully built out recording studio as my main source of income), but would prefer to avoid CDL hassles. I'd be taking 3-4 people to a cool location to focus on writing and production.

If the MH designation makes more sense, can I just put a camp stove, camp toilet, 120v and HVAC inside? Or do you even have to show the equipment beyond just signing the affidavit?

Thanks!
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman67 View Post
As long as you are under 26k, and 15 passengers or less, you have no CDL worries.
Awesome, thanks-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman67 View Post
Out of curiosity, do you think you will be able to sufficiently sound proof your bus to make a decent recording studio?
In a word, no!

The goal would be to use it more for writing, production, editing/automation etc which can be more than half of the hours on a project. I could cut usable vocals in there with the only threat being ambulances and harleys...I have the real studio to go back to though so it doesn't need to be start to finish in the bus.

Also the hardest thing to isolate is bass, I plan to use tactile transducers for the deep bass in the bus (it's like a sub wired into the seats). They use much less power, and don't make any sound outside- se we could be bumping in the bus and not hear much outside.
RyanCo is offline   Reply With Quote