I registered by my bus as an RV last September in Arapahoe county. I didnt have any problems (besides the sticker shock of $867 to register
) getting my bus registered as an RV, and get plates. I do, however, have a few tips for you:
1. ALWAYS refer to your vehicle as a motorhome (in the presence of any kind of government official). You are registering a MOTORHOME, not a bus.
2. Be polite, but not overly so.
4. Dress nicely - not saying you need to wear a tie, but you will definitely get more resistance if you look like a dreaded hippie trying to register his bus.
3. Have all your paperwork in order when you get there, you dont want ANY reason for them to take a second glance at you. Title and Bill of Sale are required, BOTH need to be signed and dated by the seller you bought it from. You will also need a VIN check from a local dealership (FREE at GO dealerships!) if the vehicle is from out of state.
4. I assume your conversion isnt done (as mine wasnt when i needed to register it as an RV) - if they ask, and they did ask me
, your bus meets all the requirements to be classified as an RV:
-dedicated sleeping area
-Bathroom / waste system
-120v electrical system
The lady behind the counter simply asked me if the vehicle had everything listed above, she didnt actually go out to the vehicle and check. To be classified as an RV in Colorado you need to meet 4 of the 6 requirements (5 listed above, i cant remember the other one off the top of my head). I called the Arapahoe county DMV and they were very helpful in finding the needed requirements - i imagine your county DMV will be just as helpful.
As far as insurance goes, i highly recommend National General - that's the only place i could actually get insurance for my bus conversion. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, dont get insurance from Progressive - they took my money and then promptly cancelled my policy two weeks later, and then took an additional 4 weeks to get my money back - PRORATED, ofcourse for the two weeks of coverage they provided me - read: screwed me out of. F@ck those guys. I would also recommend that you get the RV package from AAA. I called and talked to their customer service and made sure that a bus conversion would be covered under the policy, and they are. It's $179 for a year, but the benefits will pay for themselves if you have to use it even once.
Best of luck. Post lots of pics of your progress - we all love to live vicariously through each other's projects.