Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
At first I didn't separate, simply because I didn't have enough time to build the diverter. You have to empty it more often, but it works just fine if you use plenty of cover material. Mine didn't even have a vent at first and I've never had any issues with smell. I'm currently re-designing to incorporate a urine diverter into the design. There are a few different ways to do it. Google it and you'll get a thousand different ideas.

slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #22
Skoolie

If you're not afraid to learn, the bucket system is a real easy system to use and maintain. It just takes a little attention and learning. Once you find the cover material that works, you use far less of it. Use good quality composting bag as liners and use a cover, or as I do, a cover mix, that has moisture and a very fine texture to it. The fine texture acts as a dense seal, and the moisture helps keep the volume needed down.

Dont fall for the "peat moss is non-renewable" and all that propaganda. Peat moss has a limited shelf life so to speak and it is a use it or loose it deal. I use a very fine peat moss mixed with a very fine fir shavings.

I've tried just buying peat of any brand when on sale, but found the lighter weight, dry and course stuff to not do the job and require 2-3 times the volume. I've also tried using courser bedding to mix with it, and it also failed. Now I stick with whatever peat moss has a very heavy weight per brick, and the finest grind shavings I can find. I also watch for super sales on cat litter. Walmart and various discount stores will have generic or even name brand clay litter for blowout sale if the name is being discontinued or something. I mix a bit of that in to aid with keeping the density of the cover mix high.

I have also tried, and with great success, fine charcoal in the mix. Though it is dusty and one has to be more careful when spreading the cover over the deposit, it works great at keeping odors completely eliminated. So that is my next project, to come up with a way to grind down charcoal and use it in the mix. The charcoal I used for testing was simply the fines in the bottom of a bag of "lump" charcoal. I also experimented and made my own charcoal this past spring with success.

This is my opinion.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Considering going with the Privy 500 Diverting System for our DIY setup.

http://www.separett-usa-orders.com/c...ucts/privy-500

Anyone experienced with this?
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
so what do you all composters do with your compost?

i dont care about charcoal, saw dust or kitty litter. what are you doing with it when you dump it?

i cant see how composting would be better than a black water system. at least the black water system disposes of the waste sanitarily.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:51 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
seems like the compost partially eats itself up? and then also you dont need a dumping statipon like with black water... you could spread it into your garden mix (for full-timers growing a veggie garden).. or theoretically throw it in the trash bin at a dumpster?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
seems like the compost partially eats itself up? and then also you dont need a dumping statipon like with black water... you could spread it into your garden mix (for full-timers growing a veggie garden).. or theoretically throw it in the trash bin at a dumpster?
-Christopher
Yeah if you're using it for garden related activities you're going to want to let it "cook" in a pile for atleast a year or so before its ready to use with plants. I've thrown lots of my own ****-bags away in a dumpster. No worse than a bag of used diapers... Probably alot more eco-friendly actually.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
so what do you all composters do with your compost?

i dont care about charcoal, saw dust or kitty litter. what are you doing with it when you dump it?

i cant see how composting would be better than a black water system. at least the black water system disposes of the waste sanitarily.
I have a barrel system that is open to the soil. Technically you do not have to remove and distribute compost, it is digested by the composting fauna. If you have a large family and are very high volume compost, you may have to distribute the compost to your choice of use every few years or so. Landscape is popular, but gardening is a great use. I have not got that far yet as it will be quite some time before I need to distribute the smaller volume. But that is because I have the space to deal with my compost.

Most people know someone that has space and would welcome responsible composters to contribute. If not, you have to think and research. There are resources that explain in detail where composting may not be applicable, like inner city apartments etc. But earlier in this thread there are links to videos that have done their research and know the laws regarding disposal or human waste. Watch them.

Then if you decide you can not deal with it, stick with the black water system. But your comment about the black water being disposed of in a sanitary manner is quite debatable. Just as debatable as you might find the composting system to be. But like it or not, lots of people are realizing the incredible waste of valuable resources in very high volume to deal with processing black water. And...........if you were anywhere near Portland Oregon, you would hear annual stories on the news of millions of gallons of untreated sewage over flowing into the Willamette river each year. I know there are many, many other areas that have those same stories, but I live near Portland and know all too well the corrupt political cause of the annual health dangers purposefully dumped into the river.

IMO
Old 08-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #28
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
Do you guys separate liquids from solids in your DIY systems? If so, how? I too hate the idea of spending a grand on a plastic toilet, but I can certainly see the efficiency of the Natures Head design.
I found this super inexpensive and fairly simple plan for a DIY urine diverting composting toilet that I plan to try: RandomThoughts on Triloboats, sailboats & Kung Fu: December 2013

If you ware worried about the aesthetics of the bucket separator peeking out from your toilet seat, you can also spring for this fancy pre-made separator in black or white: We Pee |
mysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i guess i'm all for people composting their poo for over a year. good for you!

its the bag and land fill method i find less than desirable. if you moved into a trailer park.... its not gonna be too long before there is a problem with your disposal methods.

just my 2 cents
Old 08-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Many parks have composting bins now for the residents to dispose of their half-composted loads.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #31
Skoolie

Quote:

its the bag and land fill method i find less than desirable. if you moved into a trailer park.... its not gonna be too long before there is a problem with your disposal methods.

just my 2 cents
Which you are entitled to.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:26 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Quote:

just my 2 cents
Agreed! If you compost your poo and then put it in a plastic bag in the landfill, then your not doing any better than contributing black water to the sewerage "treatment" systems. Put your compost back to the earth whenever possible. That said, being able to bag it up and toss it in a dumpster every once in a while when there is no other good place to dump it keeps you pretty flexible in my opinion. A lot more flexible than being confined to a black water system.
WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blackwater, composting, plumbing, toilet