Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: ?
Engine: ?
Rated Cap: 67
Composting Toilet

I got an idea for a quick way to install a toilet for my skoolie from this site.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/art ... /index.cfm

I decided to test it out with some modifications.

I went to the local Blaine's Farm and Fleet and bought a Luggable Loo (5 gallon plastic bucket with toilet seat attached), a bag of cedar chip pet bedding, cheap cat litter, and a roll of 13 gallon trash bags.

I put a bag in the bucket covered the bottom about 2 inches deep in cat litter, then brought it up to ¾ full with cedar chips. I sprayed some water in to get everything moist.

I am sure the looks on everybody's face reading this are the same as my wife's when I put this contraption in the bathroom and explained it to her.

Basic operation

1.Deposit your business
2.Cover your business with some cedar shavings.
3.Repeat

I don't plan on composting. I am going to pull the bag and throw it in the trash after a number of uses. I figure we throw at least one poop filled diaper a day in our trash already.

I have used it once already. I have it sitting by my computer right now with the lid open and there is no smell.

Does anyone use a composting toilet system right now?

cdemaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3
Re: Composting Toilet

I have officially decided to not plumb in a toilet. I'm gonna test this out but I cannot find any flaw in the thinking or the articles I have read about this practice. Thanks for the great posts on the topic. Now to talk my wife into the new system. Smitty do you have any more photo's of your system I could view? I am thinking of building an "outhouse" style space like yours. I am open to advise as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpsalmer
I have officially decided to not plumb in a toilet....Now to talk my wife into the new system...
And there may be the deciding factor. I've used outhouses, job construction port-a-johns, cassette "poti-potti", marine toilets, and RV toilet. I'll take my RV toilet any day. I've also had the flu more than once while living in the RV. Hugging a composting toilet sounds worse than hugging the RV toilet.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

You must think like my wife. We have kids that get car sick/ bus sick were well prepared for the puking situation. Thank you though for the thought I hadn't considered that.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpsalmer
I have officially decided to not plumb in a toilet....Now to talk my wife into the new system...
And there may be the deciding factor. I've used outhouses, job construction port-a-johns, cassette "poti-potti", marine toilets, and RV toilet. I'll take my RV toilet any day. I've also had the flu more than once while living in the RV. Hugging a composting toilet sounds worse than hugging the RV toilet.
I agree with you, I dont think I could hug a composter while suffering with the flu I have a hard time with my cats litter box. Personaly, I think it is really important to have a good toilet, I got a a nice porclin toilet going in my bus. Got to keep every one happy. otherwise it can be a not so nice stay in the bus.

just my 3 cents
gbstewart