Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #201
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
If you're in a RV with someone whos got the hep, you'd prolly wana make them do all that stuff anyhow, man. Its probably not advisable to live in a tiny cramped home with someone who has hepatitis anyhow. I remember taco bell used to be in convenience stores here till the local one gave several folks hepatitis. Taco bell shut em down after that.
I'm gona try to not have any hep in my sewage to begin with.

One big advantage of a flush toilet for ladies is not having to wipe out your menses and clean that up. Just flush it away, like me and Al Bundy.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #202
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If you're in a RV with someone whos got the hep, you'd prolly wana make them do all that stuff anyhow, man. Its probably not advisable to live in a tiny cramped home with someone who has hepatitis anyhow. I remember taco bell used to be in convenience stores here till the local one gave several folks hepatitis. Taco bell shut em down after that.
I'm gona try to not have any hep in my sewage to begin with.

One big advantage of a flush toilet for ladies is not having to wipe out your menses and clean that up. Just flush it away, like me and Al Bundy.
People don't always know they have Hep. some can have no symptoms, Did you buy a used black water tank for your build or a used RV? I'm not hepatites expert but i'm pretty sure **** pumpers are the #2 candidates for contracting it and i don't even want to know what the #1 candidate is.

So i just watched a TEDx video on composting leaves and they mentioned coffee grounds being an excellent additive to compost, Yes i understand the 5gal $#!T buckets aren't composting fully before they are tossed in your local USPS blue box addressed to the Clintons... But it gave me an idea some of you trying different things for covering your "modernart sculpture" you are ashamed of and quickly try to cover it up... Go to your local coffee shop and ask for their used coffee grounds, dry them and use as chocolate sprinkles on your "soft serve" I'm sure they would have pails full of it for free.

If they ask what you are using it for just tell them you mix it in with your 5 year olds coco-puffs before the other parents weekly visitation, Wait a second and then tell them you're going to sprinkle it on pooh.
Bet they only freek on the pooh usage...
davisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #203
Bus Geek

Well I and my SO don't have hep, so why would our black tank?
We also don't live a lifestyle that would lead us to contracting it. No needles, no taco bell, etc.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #204
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Well I and my SO don't have hep, so why would our black tank?
We also don't live a lifestyle that would lead us to contracting it. No needles, no taco bell, etc.
I think you are taking my comment to personal.. I don't know anything about you where you poop what you poop in where your pooping appliances came from. You should do some research on Hepatitis and how prevalent it is, Nat Geo even did a story on it. Just like LYME the CDC won't admit to anything.. **** is out of control literally and if you pump the stuff you are taking a risk higher than bagging some somewhat dry bag of **** and tossing it out the window at 55 mph down the freeway at a CHP writing a ticket (not advice but if you do, upload the video)...LoL
Old 03-04-2017, 11:21 PM   #205
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
You all are reinforcing my appreciation of my composting toilet.

I can't tell you how many times I have warn black water over the last 25 years. The incident that pushed me to switch out my RV toilet resulted in a shower that sprayed me nearly head to toe.

No more
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:54 AM   #206
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
My bucket system is version 1.1. I have a few ideas for a 2.0 but I can build a lot of revisions before I come anywhere near the price of a tank or commercial composting head. We did our first material change the other day and it was painless. I have room to improve the urine diverter, I want to add grommets for the stir rod, and some ventilation to allow evaporation.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #207
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdesigns View Post
I think you are taking my comment to personal.. I don't know anything about you where you poop what you poop in where your pooping appliances came from. You should do some research on Hepatitis and how prevalent it is, Nat Geo even did a story on it. Just like LYME the CDC won't admit to anything.. **** is out of control literally and if you pump the stuff you are taking a risk higher than bagging some somewhat dry bag of **** and tossing it out the window at 55 mph down the freeway at a CHP writing a ticket (not advice but if you do, upload the video)...LoL
I you have hepatitis, handling the poo constantly is just as bad as a black tank.
With a dry toilet the hep would still be there if you have it man.
To try to say hepatitis is a factor in choosing the style of commode you buy, that's just internet chat room silliness.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #208
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I you have hepatitis, handling the poo constantly is just as bad as a black tank.
With a dry toilet the hep would still be there if you have it man.
To try to say hepatitis is a factor in choosing the style of commode you buy, that's just internet chat room silliness.
So you're saying that that a "dry" system is just as prone to splatter
And no i don't have hepatitis as you seem to be subtly implying... You can replace hep. with any other disease that fecal matter may carry. A dry turd in a plastic bag isn't going to jump out and bite you but liquid is inherent ability to, Your own comments far back about urine splattering being an issue only add validity.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #209
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdesigns View Post
So you're saying that that a "dry" system is just as prone to splatter
And no i don't have hepatitis as you seem to be subtly implying... You can replace hep. with any other disease that fecal matter may carry. A dry turd in a plastic bag isn't going to jump out and bite you but liquid is inherent ability to, Your own comments far back about urine splattering being an issue only add validity.
The turds in your bag won't have time to compost its never gona be just dry crap.. They're as "deadly" as a black tank's poo, and you're saying to throw them at leos.
I never said you had hep, I don't care what you have. I've just never seen someone trying to use that as reasoning for one vs the other. IF one has hep, either system is just as bad and anyone living in a tiny house with that person is just as at-risk. I honestly can't imagine any way that hepatitis is going to end up in my black tank man.
Say you throw your "compost" away and some poor garbage handler happens to puncture the bag for whatever reason... Probably more likely as giving myself hepatitis from my own black water.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:32 PM   #210
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The turds in your bag won't have time to compost its never gona be just dry crap.. They're as "deadly" as a black tank's poo, and you're saying to throw them at leos.
I never said you had hep, I don't care what you have. I've just never seen someone trying to use that as reasoning for one vs the other. IF one has hep, either system is just as bad and anyone living in a tiny house with that person is just as at-risk. I honestly can't imagine any way that hepatitis is going to end up in my black tank man.
Say you throw your "compost" away and some poor garbage handler happens to puncture the bag for whatever reason... Probably more likely as giving myself hepatitis from my own black water.
So now it "composting" and not 'dry turd' I never mentioned composting and you know that. Keep on diverting... dry vs liquid is the argument.

Black water = liquid
Shitting in a bucket and sprinkling wood chips, peat moss, cannabis trim or fairy sprinkles = dry as in clay like

Garbage handler ? what garbage handler lifts dumpsters or even cans for that matter...

edit: never mind i just figured it out, you dig in them for recyclables. Props to you and i really do understand your concern now, that would suck! most of the guys i see around here don't even wear gloves.

Personally I will be using my waste as fuel and reuse the ash to sprinkle back on fresh toilet sculptures.

If you never have any visitor and are routinely checked for disease then have at it and shower with your black water system just please don't post pic or video of it.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #211
Bus Geek

Wow, you're so friendly and not childish at all... I just love the internet.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #212
Bus Geek

This thread has truly lost the plot.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #213
Bus Geek

Yup, sorry.
I'm out.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #214
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
You all are reinforcing my appreciation of my composting toilet.

I can't tell you how many times I have warn black water over the last 25 years. The incident that pushed me to switch out my RV toilet resulted in a shower that sprayed me nearly head to toe.

No more

LIKE.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:19 PM   #215
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post

LIKE.

Thanks Deezl...i think....

I am disappointed to see this thread get so far off in the weeds. It started as a positive exchange of ideas......
Old 03-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #216
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Thanks Deezl...i think....

I am disappointed to see this thread get so far off in the weeds. It started as a positive exchange of ideas......
Ya, it happens a lot now days. But I support your choice 100%. I really like my "bucket system" or whatever the others wish to call it. It is serving me very well, and I see many others in the world also like it's simplicity and easy care. All it takes a bit of common sense to keep it safe. Unfortunately, that one aspect, common sense, is getting pushed aside in favor of the "follow the herd" crowd.

Saturday I bought a nice 24"x24" stainless steel sink for the rv. Big enough to be a utility sink in a house. Hope to have something up and running in a few months. Not sure what it will be just yet as skoolies are getting harder to come by with the districts locally crunching numbers and not replacing as often. My local city has some for sale, but upon sale, they notify the dmv that these buses are not to be titled for on the road use due to some emission ruling of some kind. So I guess they are sold for storage, scrap or maybe a creative trailer?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #217
Bus Geek

A quick follow up:

8 months of using our composting toilet and we are very happy.

I have, however, come to recognize the value of the "churn" mechanism that many of the composters have and I don't.

We tend to build a little "pyramid" that needs to be leveled by shaking the bucket. The "churn" would be more effective but would not allow me to use (compostable) pail liners in the bucket and I am not sure I want to give that up.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #218
Bus Geek

We aren't at 8 months yet but we have been using the current version of my bucket system for about two months and the ability to Stir It is what lets us keep going for more than just a week or two. The other critical piece was adding a little bit of pressurized venting to keep the moisture levels in the bucket down.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #219
Skoolie

Ya, it does use more cover when things start piling up. As soon as someone figures out how to fix that with liners, patent it.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #220
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Back to helpful comments, I ended up with a composting toilet. Just because the whole concept of my rig is to be completely self sufficient (minus diesel) and off-grid. I bought the Nature's Head model. It was expensive but it is really nice. I did mod it slightly, however, in upgrading the 12v fan. The original one pulled .07 amps and my new one, slightly larger in size, pulls .15 I think. Both values are negligible to me with an 10kWh battery backup. The new fan seems to push a LOT more air. I wasn't having any problems with back draft but it seemed like the original was weak. I ran the exhaust out the side with a mushroom vent and added no-see-um mesh on both the intake and exhaust so I don't end up with any bugs inside. I'll update after a few more months of use, but happy I pulled the trigger on that.