Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Bus Crazy
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Conventional vs. Cabover?

I'm weighing various factors in preparation for buying a bus for skoolie conversion, and body style is of course one of the considerations. I've heard it said often that the rear engine pusher cabovers are a great design for a basic camper conversion due to quiet operation, and lots of interior and basement room. Unfortunately, it seems these are only available in a full sized 40ft. bus as far as I've seen, and I'm looking for a shorter 8-10 window bus.

So that leaves me with the choice between a front engine cabover and a conventional nosed bus. I can see that the cabover gives you more useable interior space, and better visibility, but it seems like it would be a lot louder with the engine sitting right next to you, practically inside the cabin. Can anyone weigh in on the noise factor? Is it really much louder than the conventional hood design? The other factor that concerns me is that the engine seems less accessible in a cabover. Plus, I have lower back problems, and bending over to work on it would be torture!

I do like the general concept of the cabover design though... hmmmmm... any opinions/ideas? Am I correct that there is no such thing as a short pusher?
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Bus Nut
Re: Conventional vs. Cabover?

the biggest drawback to a front engine flat front is that engine maintainence is done in your living room, also the accessability that you already are aware of.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote