Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Converter/Charger

Since I plan to have 4-6 Golf Cart batteries to supply power when away from hookups, what should I use for an AC charger to charge them back up? I have an old (ancient) heavy duty automotive charger that claims to provide 35 amps @ 14.7 volts, but has absolutely no circuitry to prevent overcharging. I have boiled a couple batteries with this charger when I forgot about them, so I think it is best to retire it. I took a voltage reading while charging with this charger and it was around 16.7 volts, not the 14.7 that it claims. It sure does get them charged up in a hurry though! What is a decent automatic charger that I can use that will charge the batteries relatively quickly, yet can be plugged in constantly when hookups are available to keep the batteries charged and provide DC power for the coach?

jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Converter/Charger

you just need to get an actual rv converter charger. its basically a simple unit that runs all your 110 and 12 volt from the shore and battery power. it smart charges your batteries when its plugged into shore or genny power, all while powering your 110 and converting the shore line to 12 for your 12v lights/appliances. when you are not plugged in, it runs your 12v stuff the same way. they are fairly inexpensive. i got mine off ebay for about $70 i think. mine is a 45amp unit. they make bigger ones too. uses standard house breakers for your 110 stuff, and standard blade fuses for the 12v stuff.