Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65
converter questions...

This has probably been answered before, so it should be easy...

I'm looking for advise on the cheapest, most effective way to wire things. We're going to be traveling for 6-8 hours at a time, then be connected to shore power for 24-48 hours, then another 6-8 hours of road time. I'm going to run the majority of my bus on DC power: DC TV, radio, 3-way fridge, etc since we'll be on the road most of the time.

When we're on shore power, I eventually hope to have a roof mount AC unit and microwave. Other than that, I think a small inverter would run our AC power...laptops and things of that nature.

My thought is this: I'd really like to not mess with the factory systems of my bus, unless needed. If I had a charger/converter connected to a battery bank, then ran all my house wiring, would that work ok? Could I charge my battery bank via an isolator while running down the road and when plugged into shore power, charge them that way? What size of a converter would I need? I've found some decent ones for $130-ish (30-45 amps). Is a converter what I think it is: it takes AC power and converts it to DC power? Then does it act like a "fuse box" in a car and I run my systems from there?

Thanks in advance.
Ben.

NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65
Re: converter questions...

I may have answered my own questions. While "researching," I ran across this diagram:

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/v/v ... iagram.jpg
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote