Old 09-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Converting a Crown

I'm working on aquiring my first Skoolie & I have my eye on a 76 Crown with the pancake motor,after a quick look over I'm wondering if others that have done a Crown conversion how did you go about adding waste tanks? to me it doesn't look like a whole lot of room under the bus but maybe mounting them in the rear storage area if so how did drainge work, also did you leave the access covers for the motor inside the bus accessable, Thanks for any thoughts or advice
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Re: Converting a Crown

My Crown is a 76 model, and yes, there is little room under the bus for tanks. I am running one tank for both black and gray which is mounted on the starboard side next to the rear of the engine and just in front of the rear axle. It works for me, but I don't do a lot of camping without hook ups. Most likely, you have a wall to wall fuel tank just in front of the trunk, and mounting tanks in the trunk can be done, but you would need a pump because it will be uphill for your plumbing. All that aside, they are fine machines, and you work around the problems. I'm happy with the way mine turned out.

BC
Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Thanks for the reply, How many gallons is the single tank, I tend to boondock, longest time out has been 15 days but usually average 8
Old 09-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

I'm running a 40 gallon tank
Old 09-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Thats not a whole lot, I'm going to have to go back & take a lot of measurements before I pull the trigger I think, thanks for the info
Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Does anyone know if a Crown with a Cummings engine has any more room under it than one with a Detroit?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Our Crown is a Detroit 6-71 with an 80 gallon tank.

We decided to put the bathroom in the rear of the bus so we can put the tanks in the trunk and drop the piping right through the back. There's not a whole lot of storage below, but there's plenty in the trunk and with a little imagination I'm sure there's some spots under the floor that could be used.

Layout will be bathroom in the rear, bedroom in the middle, then kitchen, and living room in the front This layout will leave access to the hatches available, and with a split bed (building a queen bed in two pieces) on a track, we can slide the bed apart and have two couches and engine access, or one queen size bed we can move back and forth to whichever windows have the best view at the time.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Yes I've drawn out a few designs with the bathroom in the rear, I hate losing the footage of a rear bath so I have another plan that uses a sump pump in a small tank in front of the rear wheels and pumps it back for grey water but haven't figured out black tank yet,don't like the cost of a compost toilet
Old 10-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwthrrider
. . . have another plan that uses a sump pump in a small tank in front of the rear wheels and pumps it back for grey water but haven't figured out black tank yet,don't like the cost of a compost toilet
Look up macerators, which are a chopper/pump like a garbage disposal. Not only can you transfer solids from a small black tank with these, some people use them to pump through a garden hose to empty tanks into a toilet where there is no dump station.

Just don't re-use the same hose for drinking water!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Look up macerators, which are a chopper/pump like a garbage disposal. Not only can you transfer solids from a small black tank with these, some people use them to pump through a garden hose to empty tanks into a toilet where there is no dump station.

Just don't re-use the same hose for drinking water!
I was looking at a macerator toilet. It will pump the waste up to 30 ft, so you can put the toilet anywhere you want in the bus. No solids in the black water tank, so less chance of it pluging up. I went with a composting toilet instead, no black water tank.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote