Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

converting a natural gas stove to propane

I have an old 22" 4 burner Wedgewood stove that I had in my old live/work space. I'm wondering if it's possible to convert it to propane. If I could, would it be ok to put a regular stove like that into a bus?

Thanks!
Monetta

Disastrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19
Re: converting a natural gas stove to propane

I was able to convert my 22" Premier household gas stove to propane by reversing the jets, and also making an adjustment to the pressure regulator. If you have the model name/number perhaps there is info via Google or your local appliance repair shop.

HTH
Sean
Old 06-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: converting a natural gas stove to propane

most gas appliancs will work on lp or natural gas, which ever way you want to go have a qualified technician make the recommended changes and test and adjust the burners for proper operation.
I usually consult with the service people for the appliance that i am working on and then do my own work, but if you're not comfortable or knowledgable about gas appliances get some professional help for your safety.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Thomas B2B
Chassis: 281TS
Engine: MBE 926 7.2L 211HP
Rated Cap: 29,000 LBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
I was able to convert my 22" Premier household gas stove to propane by reversing the jets, and also making an adjustment to the pressure regulator. If you have the model name/number perhaps there is info via Google or your local appliance repair shop.

HTH
Sean

Sean, I have a 22 inch Holiday 4 burner stove and oven in my skoolie but isn’t working out too good. I called an appliance guy out and he took a look at my setup and couldn’t find out what was wrong. The flames are burning too high on the cooktop however working well in the oven. Not sure if you had to do something special for yours to work or what.

I have a standard RV regulator on the propane tanks joining the 2 tanks and this setup is working well for my on demand water heater but not for the cooktop.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tarheel Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
Skoolie

The jets are different for L.P. and Natural Gas so fare warning. Don't know the difference between the two but I would assume sizing and maybe more. Best to have a pro look so don't blow things up.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarnut View Post
The jets are different for L.P. and Natural Gas so fare warning. Don't know the difference between the two but I would assume sizing and maybe more. Best to have a pro look so don't blow things up.

Thanks for the feedback!! I had a “professional” look at it and he didn’t get it to work. $100 later for the service call fee and still in the same boat. I don’t play around with gas or electricity unless I know for sure how it works.

According to the instructions, there was 3 things that had to be converted and he checked and adjust all 3. Still no stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarheel Travelers
Old 03-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Normally you have to change or adjust the regulator, change or adjust the jets and adjust the airflow.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Normally you have to change or adjust the regulator, change or adjust the jets and adjust the airflow.

The adjustment to the regulator was opening and turn this small plastic piece around.

The “stove man” adjusted the air flow by taking the knob off and turn the little screw. It doesn’t burn so high anymore however still burns high with an orange flame dancing around about 3 inches above the stove eye when on low.

We were thinking that it may need another regulator however the instructions didn’t mention anything about getting another regulator.

Could it hurt anything if I add another regulator before the original regulator? Ultimately 2 before the stove’s built in regulator.

Tarheel Travelers
Old 03-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Travelers View Post
The adjustment to the regulator was opening and turn this small plastic piece around.

The “stove man” adjusted the air flow by taking the knob off and turn the little screw. It doesn’t burn so high anymore however still burns high with an orange flame dancing around about 3 inches above the stove eye when on low.

We were thinking that it may need another regulator however the instructions didn’t mention anything about getting another regulator.

Could it hurt anything if I add another regulator before the original regulator? Ultimately 2 before the stove’s built in regulator.

Tarheel Travelers
If it's burning with an orange flame, the tubes by the burners need adjusting usually. They should have either an adjustment for length or a moveable flap.

They need more air.

Build Thread
Old 03-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Natural gas and propane require different orifice sizes at the burner. Conversion sizes can be found on the internet with a little digging. Don't screw with what you have until you figure that out. Propane not only smells bad it explodes BAD so do your homework. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
If it's burning with an orange flame, the tubes by the burners need adjusting usually. They should have either an adjustment for length or a moveable flap.

They need more air.

Thanks for the feedback!! How do you recommend that I provide more air?

Tarheel Travelers
Old 03-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Natural gas and propane require different orifice sizes at the burner. Conversion sizes can be found on the internet with a little digging. Don't screw with what you have until you figure that out. Propane not only smells bad it explodes BAD so do your homework. Jack

That’s funny that you mention that! I spoke with friends that had LP stoves and they mentioned that I would need to change the burners and regulator but the instructions didn’t mention that I needed a new one. They just said that I would need to make a few changes.

I’ll go back and do some more homework!! Thanks!

Tarheel Travelers
Old 03-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!! How do you recommend that I provide more air?

Tarheel Travelers
By provided adjustment. If there is none, or you don't feel confident, have a gas-fitter do it.

Build Thread
Old 03-28-2018, 10:17 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
By provided adjustment. If there is none, or you don't feel confident, have a gas-fitter do it.

Thanks for the advice!! I was able to reach the manufacturer and they sent me out new gas fittings for the stove and oven. I put them in and the stove is up and operational in my Skoolie!!

Tarheel Travelers
Old 03-28-2018, 11:31 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks for the advice!! I was able to reach the manufacturer and they sent me out new gas fittings for the stove and oven. I put them in and the stove is up and operational in my Skoolie!!

Tarheel Travelers
Perfect! I love it when a plan comes together

Build Thread