Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: Ford E450 Super Duty
Engine: V8 6.0
Rated Cap: 30 animals and 1 human
Cooling System

Hi there Skoolies, I hope someone can help me with info on the cooling system in my 2000 Savanna Microbird 6.5 Turbo. It has three " plumbing " valves that I'm wondering what they do cant find any reference for them and I need to remove the " Under Seat" heater and get the AC working. I have one of the large rear AC units over the rear door. I may try some R134 and see if that gets the AC working. Thanks and have a great evening!!

sinapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:55 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

There should be a tag somewhere under the hood that will tell you which A/C system has been installed and how much and what kind of juice it should take.

As far as the heater hose plumbing is concerned, two of the legs are the loop that goes to the rear underseat heaters. One set of legs most probably goes to the step well heater. And the third leg most probably goes to the factory OEM heater system. Shutting off the valves will stop water circulation which is a handy thing to have when it gets hot outside--who wants several gallons of hot water circulating through an already hot compartment.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if the Air-conditioner is low on charge there;'s a reason for it... A/C does not "Use up" freon... if its gone theres a leak!.. you also dont want to "just put some in" esp on a commercial Air-conditioner... a microbird will have a micture of a CCOT system and the rear coils running on a TxV... these guys can be tricky to charge correctly...

the coach builder should have placed a sticker either under the hood or inside the glove box stating what the total system charge by weight is and the refrigerant type (R12,R134a etc)...

Bus A/C systems are NOTORIOUS for being neglected... esp if you have a skirt or under-body condenser (notice if there is an air vent down low on the side of your bus).. that would be the auxiliary condenser... if that is dirt clogged / one or more fans are bad then bad trhings happen to that A/C system if not rectified..

take your time with it / learn about it.. and troubleshoot it before just slamming some freon in and hoping it lasts a long time..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Christopher! I really appreciate the detailed information. I did find the sticker saying Txv , and the oil pag 100 and r134a were used when it was new in 2000 . Delphi seems to be the manufacturer. As far as the condenser, I haven't found any, but I'll try and get to know it completely. Roger
Old 06-22-2016, 05:56 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinapu View Post
Thanks Christopher! I really appreciate the detailed information. I did find the sticker saying Txv , and the oil pag 100 and r134a were used when it was new in 2000 . Delphi seems to be the manufacturer. As far as the condenser, I haven't found any, but I'll try and get to know it completely. Roger

the condenser will be a grill either on your bus skirting or will be a unit mounted up under the bus with fans on it.. if your indoor units are rooftop then the condenser is part of that.. there are about as many coach A/C systems as there are Busses on the road.. these things vary completely in sizes, shapes, locations, and techniques..

I never have figured out why we need so many designs for something that does such a simple task as removing heat from a bus cabin.. but then again those shapes and sizes are what has helped me find the pieces i need to build my Coach A/C....

-Christopher
Old 07-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Christopher, Its a Carrier EM-2 ,I think, not a roof model, located above the rear exit door. it blows a lot of air ,just not cold..
Old 07-25-2016, 05:46 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinapu View Post
Hey Christopher, Its a Carrier EM-2 ,I think, not a roof model, located above the rear exit door. it blows a lot of air ,just not cold..
that unit may or may not have its own compressor(it Should in a bus).. does the bus have a dashboard Air-conditioner? like a normal car-style A/C control on the dash? some did some didnt... all deoended on whether the coach builder ordered the van with the A/C delete option or not (it was standard equipment by that year on the savannah)..

if theres no front van A/C, the carrier will have its compressor in the same spot under the hood that the van would have.. obviuously the easiest thig to do is pop a gauge on and see if youve leaked out the charge.. the unit you have inside is jusrt the evaporator.. there will be a coil outside the bus too.. if you crawl under you will find a unit under the Body there should be a coil with fans on it.. there may be a grill for that on the lower skirting of the bus too.. and then of course the compressor under the hood.. there will be hoses going from the various compinents to each other.. its often the case onbe of these hoses gets chaffed and busts.. when I got my bus I found one I looked at that soneone had completely stolen the condenser from under the bus .. so thus a good idea t olook for all the compoinents to make sure they are at least there and intact..

-Christopher
Old 07-25-2016, 07:57 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Yes it does have a front AC also. I guess I'm trying to find a diagram of the exact system. I'll probably just have to dig into it and try and identify the different components as I go. Thanks again for all the details!!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #9
Bus Geek

does the front A/C work?

first thing i would do is look under the hood and see if theres a separate compressor for that front system... usually in a bus there is but not always.. sometimes they do a "tie-in".. the diagram would be much different for each scenerio..
-Christopher
Old 07-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

No unfortunately, they both blow air but not cold