Old 06-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolie_n00bie View Post
The resulting buses don't have to be RVs, right?
As time goes by and you "recruit" more people, they could start a repurpose of a bus for a mobile mechanic shop, or roofing, pet grooming, food truck....whatever they want to!
Give then a 2nd chance to a better life.

I like it.
Moving van...
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Moving van...
YES!
There's a moving company by us called "2 guys and a truck" ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
YES!
There's a moving company by us called "2 guys and a truck" ;)
"Two cons and a bus"? Begs for Photoshop:

The logo is a parody of the Two Men and a Truck logo (I added the upper lights), but I just made up the tagline: use it if you wish.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the resulting busses dont have to be RV's.. and its not your issue whether someone has the proper lkicense to drive it or not.. thats on them... a person withiout a driver's license CAN buy a car.. they just cant drive it...

refurb busses have a lot of purposes.. and everyone buys them for various purposes..

activity / gym / equipment etc.. I know around here private sports leagues have a skoolie that is just painted and has no seats they carry their gear in out of the weather...

one local church used to have a gutted school bus as a mobile soup kitchen.. the clients walked in the front door and then out and down a portable stair at the rear... getting food as they went through..

I saw one 2 years ago in texas at a festival called a "cool zone".. it had half its seats removed.. (every other one)... had a genny and 3 camper units on the roof.. and was used for people overheating... they came in, sat down, cooled off and got water..

farms use school busses for various purposes..

the common thing is that most all need to be painted non-school colors and id say 80% need their seats removed.. church busses just need paint and a little TLC / cleaning and leave the seats...

some of the govdeals busses are perfect church busses.. high miles busses are often perfect.. as many churches just run the bus around town once a week and an occasional event where they run it 100 miles or so... they need rust repair and low hours / miles run means that a high mileage bus is perfect...

even gassers are Ok for churches since they run little comparatively.. gassers go extremely cheap...

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:

The logo is a parody of the Two Men and a Truck logo (I added the upper lights), but I just made up the tagline: use it if you wish.
Dude that's awesome!

Old 06-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The resulting buses don't have to be RVs, right?
As time goes by and you "recruit" more people, they could start a repurpose of a bus for a mobile mechanic shop, or roofing, pet grooming, food truck....whatever they want to!
Give then a 2nd chance to a better life.

I like it.

Awesome ideas! It's crazy the tunnel vision I get sometimes so that when I'm deterred at one thing, I have a hard time flipping it around. You know what I thought would be cool (never thought of a bus for it) - mobile tattooing. There are quite a few guys making a pretty penny doing tattoos in prison, using a walkman and a guitar string. CAN YOU IMAGINE?!? With pro equipment they could go to fairs, concerts, Comic Con, the beach etc. Can also make it a mobile art/craft exhibit. A lot of the guys are very talented. It's a shame. And SMART. I'm not saying all, but I truly believe that the people you didn't believe could possibly be capable of much are capable of a lot of things given the right opportunities and tools.

Quote:

You're hilarious! I'm surprised you didn't black and white stripe it lol.

This is my favorite business: CONBODY. Check out his press page! Love the prison gimmick. The story is he lost like 60 or 70 lbs in the box (solitary confinement) and helped a bunch of guys lose when he got put back in pop. While working out in the park people would ask him questions. He figured he could make money at it. He was a drug dealer making over $2M/year. Dude has business skills.

He went through Defy Ventures which I mentioned earlier in this thread. The beauty of both Prison Entrepreneurship Program and Defy is that they have a huge network of professional people involved. That's why I wanted to do Uber - so I'd have time to cultivate these types of relationships during the day, but I'm starting to reconsider Uber so I need to come up with a different plan where I could work from home.

Still sorting it all out because over the last 3 weeks my plans have been forced to changed immensely.
YMIHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #37
Bus Geek

why not do Uber and Lyft? I ride both quite a bit.. I meet a lot of cool drivers and often we talk like a couple friends in the car..

I gave a driver an older iPAD because he was trying to work on a crowdsourcing project and was saving money to buy mobile devices by driving Lyft.. he gives me free rides if I choose...

one driver was a fellow Jeep-Lover and helped me with a driveshaft vibe I was having.. I refer my friends to pick him for all their fares..

and the list goes on.. you can really network through Uber / Lyft.. most drivers do both.. they get a fare on one, they sjut the other off till they are clear again..

one girl pulls down an extra $1000 / week + tips doing it.. she is doing it for fun and saving up to buy a brand new car (which she wont uber it)...

-Christopher
Old 06-05-2016, 12:34 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
why not do Uber and Lyft? I ride both quite a bit.. I meet a lot of cool drivers and often we talk like a couple friends in the car..

I gave a driver an older iPAD because he was trying to work on a crowdsourcing project and was saving money to buy mobile devices by driving Lyft.. he gives me free rides if I choose...

one driver was a fellow Jeep-Lover and helped me with a driveshaft vibe I was having.. I refer my friends to pick him for all their fares..

and the list goes on.. you can really network through Uber / Lyft.. most drivers do both.. they get a fare on one, they sjut the other off till they are clear again..

one girl pulls down an extra $1000 / week + tips doing it.. she is doing it for fun and saving up to buy a brand new car (which she wont uber it)...

-Christopher
Uber for large party/bar hopping? That's a whole new level right there!
About the mobile tattoo shop, there is someone in miami with a shorty 😉

Old 06-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Uber for large party/bar hopping? That's a whole new level right there!
About the mobile tattoo shop, there is someone in miami with a shorty 😉

lol I didnt mean uber with the bus.. I meant uber for saving money / generating cash for the project.. and networking with people you drive... as I have networked with the drivers that I have ridden with..

-Christopher
Old 06-05-2016, 04:11 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
This was my original plan, but people are quitting. While it's a great service to use, they keep cutting the money that the drivers make. When they reduced the fare, let's say from $1.25/mile to $.95, they never reduced the percentage that they take (20%).

My memory is so horrible that I forgot one element of my Uber plan. Networking was most definitely one. You do meet a lot of people and I figured I might meet the type of people who are interested in my non-profit, but the other thing I wanted to do was to SELL something. I should start working now - I had this co-worker who made these Christmas ornaments that were AWESOME. I figured I could totally unload those around the holidays. Cheap to make and shouldn't take too long (I could be wrong on that because I never made them, but it doesn't seem labor intensive). Each one of those I could probably sell for $20 because they're unique and people pay more than that for a Hallmark ornament. I wanted to find something to sell over the summer (basically year round) as well. I mean seriously look at this guy. He's making over $200K/year.

As far as doing my own skoolie - leave it to my sister to find a way. I told her I just can't even fathom doing the project by myself. Way too overwhelming and time consuming. But I have a creative genius for a sister. (She's literally getting her masters in creativity).

Her solution to my time thing was to look for a non-profit that is trying to help at risk youth by teaching them skills. Let them do the work while I supply parts. That's not to say I will find such a program but she ALWAYS comes up with a way to solve a problem. I'm so lucky to have her. I did tell her about the idea here of getting them partway ready by ripping out the floors etc. But right now I am focused on trying to find a job in the now. OR hooking up with local artisans for my gallery on wheels.
YMIHere is offline   Reply With Quote