Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6
Could this be Home?

Could I have found a place where I fit in?

Sorry guys and gals, I dont have a bus...I do have a converted Grumman bread truck though, 1963 model. I have rooted around the web, and find that I dont really fit with the guys doing new vehicle conversions, dont really fit with the RVers.

Think you guys and gals could stand having an ice cream truck hanging around? I cant seem to find the Isle of Misfit RV Conversions!

Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Ob1
Skoolie

Re: Could this be Home?

Smitty, I think you may have seen them before, at an unnamed forum, but here are a few shots for the others here.

And most recently as I loaded up the family for the one trip all families and all RV's want to take, to Ft Wilderness just 2 weeks ago {and just after I had a wild idea and the Grumman at my paint shop!}

Old 08-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
Ob1
Skoolie

I call it a rolling project.

I am gathering batteries for my inverter bank, have about 3 sqft of knotty pine bead board to put up, planning a slight bathroom remodel, and stewing on the idea of a dinette remodel {and where to put the propane tank that sits under one of the benches now}

Then there is the matter of exterior paint. I paint cars, so the skill isnt a problem, nor the cost. Problem is the design and colors, gotta soften up those square lines!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Very nice conversion! Well thought out interior design that is clean and neat. I was originally considering a box truck like yours, but fell in love with the school bus idea because of better ground clearance.

If you're looking for an idea for the paint, why settle on one design? With that much "canvas" you could do anything from modern graphics, to a landscape scenery (which I'm partial to), or even a mural depicting each area you've visited in your unique RV. Or... if you live in it for any length of time, you could put a bogus company on the side for camouflage. The possibilities are endless!
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Ob1
Skoolie

Actually, I am thinking about using the somewhat graceful wheel openings , along with some color blending to simulate some fenders...

Old 08-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Welcome Ob1!

I feel you are more than welcome here as I to do not have a "skoolie" either, but it is a bus...
I like your conversion & the fact it is an older step van. very cool! I also was looking at converting a step van but wanted something a bit larger & then fell in love with the bus! You will find all kinds of info & all (for the most part) will pertain to your van also. Be sure to post many photos of your progress as there is no such thing as "too many"!

Jonathan
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

If that is a school bus seat in your dining area you more than qualify.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #8

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Grumman Parcel Delivery
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: White-Hercules 3.7L r
Rated Cap: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob1
I call it a rolling project.

I am gathering batteries for my inverter bank, have about 3 sqft of knotty pine bead board to put up, planning a slight bathroom remodel, and stewing on the idea of a dinette remodel {and where to put the propane tank that sits under one of the benches now}

Then there is the matter of exterior paint. I paint cars, so the skill isnt a problem, nor the cost. Problem is the design and colors, gotta soften up those square lines!
I am converting an 82 Ford step van and will be painting the exterior in the spring. What route did you use to make a huge cubulartastic rolling home a bit more sleek looking? I have been looking the camoflage paint jobs used by many ships in WW2..The designs make the ship look so different...so I feel it is possible to have my old bread truck blend in a bit more. Thanks!
jottoh12 is offline   Reply With Quote