Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
I have seen them and they are pretty attractive but I'm going the route of using alternator as a backup power source. I already run the motor for air conditioning, and I just upgraded my alternator!

Using backup power to supplement a build designed for solar is a very different than than building something that implies ubiquitous power. We can go several cloudy days in a row already but beyond that we start getting stingy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Ah, I see. That makes sense.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Even if they only get occasional use...a small, quiet genset provides great backup power for many situations. Including emergencies. If batteries get depleted (including the start batt, phone batt, etc.)...you can bring them back up. Personally, I wouldn't want to boondock without one, but to each his own.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #43
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That paint job sure look nice, Rusty. Sure is refreshing to see someone do it right. The effort you put in shows, its impressive.

No feelings hurt here, you just put words into my mouth and then went full Nat_ster on me there.

Why does it matter if I post a lot? I've been on this forum in good times and bad. I like this forum. I like the discussions on here. I like YOU when you're not having your monthly.

How is it that suddenly one of my favorite forum members is hell bent on having a tit for tat squabble about something I've never said or done?

Can't we all just get along?
Sorry-

I am working. I have family to support. BTW- How DO you cut 3 lawns a year and afford Tiffany? What's your secret?

Reread the post. Nowhere do I sat that engine is in any bus.

You must have 100 posts where you tell people the 5.9L Cummins is underpowered for a bus, despite not really knowing anything about the engine.

Charlie, a lot of people respect your opinion, as you have built some beautiful buses with your hard work and dedication.

I am trying to explain through your tantrums that 5.9L is a DISPLACEMENT. The actual output of that motor can vary greatly.

That means, newbies should be aware that you must compare apples to apples. It may be a low hp motor, it may be a high hp motor.

Stick to the topic of engines and lay off the ad hominum attacks, it reflects poor logic.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Sorry-

I am working. I have family to support. BTW- How DO you cut 3 lawns a year and afford Tiffany? What's your secret?

Reread the post. Nowhere do I sat that engine is in any bus.

You must have 100 posts where you tell people the 5.9L Cummins is underpowered for a bus, despite not really knowing anything about the engine.

Charlie, a lot of people respect your opinion, as you have built some beautiful buses with your hard work and dedication.

I am trying to explain through your tantrums that 5.9L is a DISPLACEMENT. The actual output of that motor can vary greatly.

That means, newbies should be aware that you must compare apples to apples. It may be a low hp motor, it may be a high hp motor.

Stick to the topic of engines and lay off the ad hominum attacks, it reflects poor logic.
Well now you're just being a jerk.

How I make a living is none of your business, bub. You're making this personal and now you're just flat out trolling.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:43 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
If I was spending more time in desolate areas I could see value in having another backup power source. I've used my solar to charge my truck batteries, and I've used my truck to charge my solar batteries. My big bus project will have twice the house battery capacity and 50% more solar panels, which should go a long way towards keeping us in the green. I'll also be wiring in a formal method of pushing alternator juice to house battery instead of the awful hackery I have now... But ultimately I feel pretty good about having enough power even if it isn't always optimal.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #46
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
I was trying to keep my mouth shut. But I do have to point out a few things...
The "sauce" that has been left:
Sauce#1: "Note: the following ratings are only applicable to Dodge pickups"
Sauce#2: This spec sheet is for the newer, larger 6.7L...

Cummins 24v 5.9 "Non-Dodge", although POSSIBLE, are unlikely to be tuned for any more horsepower, RPM, or TORQUE than they were originally manufactured with. Especially the ones in a 15+ year old Goshen. So for me to say that my bus and Santa's potential new bus are likely the same or similar power is 100% plausible.

For that to have apparently started an all out whine-fest and completely hijack the thread on this newcomer to the forum is a little crazy, don't you think? It would appear Santa isn't feeling the love.

That's all.

I still like coffee.

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
We have very different use cases but for mine a generator is something I want to avoid. They are great for easy replenishable power, but the negatives for me are having to deal with a second fuel and the noise when running. Part of successful boondocking is not drawing attention to yourself or being a nuisance!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Avoid the 2nd fuel with a trucker's genset...rail mount, compact, relatively quiet, I've seen 8k units...I can't find a pic though...they are diesel and intended to operate a/c with main engine off

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #48
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennysTire View Post
I was trying to keep my mouth shut. But I do have to point out a few things...
The "sauce" that has been left:
Sauce#1: "Note: the following ratings are only applicable to Dodge pickups"
Sauce#2: This spec sheet is for the newer, larger 6.7L...

Cummins 24v 5.9 "Non-Dodge", although POSSIBLE, are unlikely to be tuned for any more horsepower, RPM, or TORQUE than they were originally manufactured with. Especially the ones in a 15+ year old Goshen. So for me to say that my bus and Santa's potential new bus are likely the same or similar power is 100% plausible.

For that to have apparently started an all out whine-fest and completely hijack the thread on this newcomer to the forum is a little crazy, don't you think? It would appear Santa isn't feeling the love.

That's all.

I still like coffee.
It really is crazy. Us owners of the 24v 5.9L engine having a discussion about what's in our buses, then to get broadsided with:

Troll
Nat_ster
Menstruation
Wahhhhhhhh

Too much. You pull that crap with me, expect it back.

I thought the talk was about ISB engine, so I posted Cummins PDF's. Then posted a video w/ ISB in bus. Still relevant.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
I got scared and ran off. Either way this thread can become a desolated wasteland as I am no longer going with the bus.

The secret will be released in two weeks time. Keep an eye out for a new thread from me soon. Huzzah!

Which at this point I hope to be adopted by one of the forum members and be guided to success. Failure is not an option.
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Does everyone have a hangover this morning or something? It's not like this group to take things personally.

I suggest settling conflict with evidence. Can't argue with evidence, or references. Quotes from identifiable sources.

It seems recent arguments have been limited to opinions. Everybody has an opinion, and these times are when we can learn something new based on someone else's experience.

Duck, water, back, run-off.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Over the years I have seen a lot of different HP and torque ratings for the 5.9L/6BT/ISB engine that has been used in school buses.

The lowest I have seen was 160 HP and the highest was 250 HP. I have seen a couple newer models of the ISC that were rated at 265 HP.

Different applications have different HP and torque ratings. I know that in marine and stationary power applications the ratings go way up. Even in moho's and fire engines I have seen much higher ratings. But the lower ratings in school buses is due to two main factors. The first is getting rid of excess heat. School bus cooling systems, and rear engine school buses I particular, are just adequate to the task. Setting up the engine to produce more HP would also require a serious upgrade in the cooling system. Which brings up the second reason for lower ratings and that is cost. The ISB is rarely optioned much more than 265 HP because the ISC that is rated at 250 HP has a lot more torque than a 265 HP ISB and the ISC option of 250 HP cost less than the 265 HP ISB.

Once you get past model year 2010 the ISC was not a popular option except on buses that were specifically set up for trips. Operators found that the ISB rated at 250 HP really had to work to do the job. The ISC rated at 250 HP was barely breaking a sweat to do the same work. As a consequence operators were having a lot of problems with the ISC simply because it wasn't getting warm enough.

So in answer to the original question about engine HP ratings, in school buses the 5.9L/6BT is rarely rated over 250 HP and more commonly rated at 190-210 HP.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #52
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
I got scared and ran off. Either way this thread can become a desolated wasteland as I am no longer going with the bus.

The secret will be released in two weeks time. Keep an eye out for a new thread from me soon. Huzzah!

Which at this point I hope to be adopted by one of the forum members and be guided to success. Failure is not an option.
And a desolated wasteland it has become.
I read through this forum for YEARS before joining and making my first post. I rarely if ever saw the type of stuff like this in any thread. (Maybe I read all older posts that had already been "cleaned up" by moderators?) But regardless, I hope this experience doesn't thwart you from returning to share and inquire. Good luck on your search, and enjoy the sunny day. Heat wave for us tomorrow!

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
It really is crazy. Us owners of the 24v 5.9L engine having a discussion about what's in our buses, then to get broadsided with:

Troll
Nat_ster
Menstruation
Wahhhhhhhh

Too much. You pull that crap with me, expect it back.

I thought the talk was about ISB engine, so I posted Cummins PDF's. Then posted a video w/ ISB in bus. Still relevant.
Since you're just gonna TROLL away, PM sent. NOT fair to keep your childish behavior going.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
To the original OP. SANTA please ask away anything you want.
Don't let the BS thread hijack scare you off.
sometimes? A comment is made that gets other commenters going in other directions so you can ignore them and post what you have whether it be questions,comments, or just say WTF kids take that somewhere else.
I do not believe anyone's financial issues or who does what for a living should be public knowledge.
Find your bus and we can only offer our experience through our opinions?
Some opinions won't work for you and your build but some opinions will give you a good idea of what direction YOU want to head in.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:02 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
And please don't put us on the NAUGHTY list.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
And please don't put us on the NAUGHTY list.
It's too late for that.

No, this "bus" (not the bus in the OP), but the one I am flying out to next Friday and driving back home is it.

Let's just say by venturing out <1000 miles has opened more choices. Load and behold I found what I was asking for. It just took an extra day to find it after posting this thread.

2002 International - 13 window - DT466 Pusher - MD3060 - Air brakes
Old 02-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
It's too late for that.

No, this "bus" (not the bus in the OP), but the one I am flying out to next Friday and driving back home is it.

Let's just say by venturing out <1000 miles has opened more choices. Load and behold I found what I was asking for. It just took an extra day to find it after posting this thread.

2002 International - 13 window - DT466 Pusher - MD3060 - Air brakes
Nice!

Enjoy the drive, and fingers-crossed.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #58
Bus Geek

That sounds like a NICE setup!

The ONLY thing I'd be leery of is the front timing cover and the coolant on a DT.

Make sure to stay vigilant of the coolant in 2000 and up DT466's. If you can, find out if its ever had the front cover replaced. Its a little talked about but pretty common failure on 2000 and up DT's. My bus has a bad cover and its no easy job to fix.

I'd still go for it, just giving you an idea based on what I've found out with my 2004 DT.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

I'll ask the gentleman to review the maintenance records when he can.

He has the records from the school district he bought them from. I believe he mentioned that he bought 3 total.

I was told that sometime before being removed from service it had a maintenance performed which he has a record for.

I'll be picking it up for a flat fee of $3000 and it was about 220k miles. I appreciate the tip on front timing cover.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Just take along some JB Weld...right ECCB?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote