Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 01:41 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72 passengers
Could use more power going up hills.

My 1992 TC 2000 5.9 lacks power going up hills and steep bridges.
Is this normal for this model bus?

WLDNWALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:47 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
thats a big bus. have you done a tune up? change your oil, filters including air and fuel.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:18 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDNWALT View Post
My 1992 TC 2000 5.9 lacks power going up hills and steep bridges.
Is this normal for this model bus?
Can you elaborate on "lacks power going up hills and steep bridges"? Are we talking like dropping to 50-45 MPH? Or more like 20-30 MPH?

Dropping to 50-45 going up a somewhat steep hill might be normal. Dropping to 30 or less is another matter. When was the fuel filter last changed? It should be done at least every other oil change (and most places do it every oil change); for a "lack of power" it would be the very first thing I check.

Next up would be check the intake system between the turbo and engine - any leaks will result in a loss of boost and power (it may also cause the engine to smoke). Rubber hoses degrade over time and occasionally develop holes.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
and also what kind of hills? everything slows down if you are going up the Rocky-top on I-75 or the Monteagle in tennessee.. except maybe the 500 HP Prevosts...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Lack of fuel and a lack of air can really downgrade the performance of a diesel engine.

Lack of fuel can be caused by fuel filters that are plugged up. A water fuel separator that is full of water can slow down fuel supply. A lift pump that is getting weak will supply an inadequate amount of fuel.

Lack of enough air can be caused by something blocking the air intake, an air filter that is plugged, or a leak or restriction in the hose between the turbo and the intake.

Lack of performance can also be a result of a down rated engine. The Cummins 5.9L 6BT engine came in many different HP ratings in school buses from as low as 160 HP to a high of 250 HP. Knowing which version of the engine you have in your bus will help determine why you are slowing down on upgrades. If it is the 160 HP version I would say everything is normal. If it is the 250 HP version I would say you have a serious problem somewhere.

The color of your exhaust can help determine where your problem might be. If you pour out a lot of black smoke on acceleration or climbing a hill you are not getting enough air. If the exhaust is clear on throttle application you are not getting enough fuel.

Keep us posted as to your progress.

Good luck.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Cowlitz - so I should get that brief puff of smoke when I floor it, but not keep blowing black smoke?

this is how my DT-360 acts.. I hammer it and I get a couple seconds of Light black smoke then it clears up except for a very very thin smoke.. something I can only see at night in the headlights of a car behind me but not out the window in the daytime..

on my T-444E I dont seem to get any smoke at all.. other than may be a little puff when I start it on a cool morning.. my T-444E seems to run great..

I had heard someone else tell me that a puff of smoke on take-off was healthy as long as I wasnt making a steam-engine chimney effect.

-Christopher
Old 10-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Some smoke on initial acceleration is normal. Blowing coal is not.

Our church has a 1986 Crown Supercoach with a 6-71TAC (turbo after cooler) 2-cycle Detroit Diesel in it. If you stand on the throttle from a stop you can't see the car behind you. If you ease into the throttle and wait to mash it until you are at about 1,400 RPM's you don't get any smoke.

We also have a 1979 Gillig Schoolcoach with a DT466. It almost never smokes under any circumstance except for when it is cold. When it warms up it doesn't smoke at all.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Cowlitz - so I should get that brief puff of smoke when I floor it, but not keep blowing black smoke?

this is how my DT-360 acts.. I hammer it and I get a couple seconds of Light black smoke then it clears up except for a very very thin smoke.. something I can only see at night in the headlights of a car behind me but not out the window in the daytime..

on my T-444E I dont seem to get any smoke at all.. other than may be a little puff when I start it on a cool morning.. my T-444E seems to run great..

-Christopher
On your DT360, it sounds to me like it's "normal"; the couple seconds of black smoke is probably the time it takes for your turbo to spool up.

My last Volvo truck poured black smoke for months (constant when driving); it clearly didn't have the "normal" amount of power but was drive-able. It was eventually found to have a "thumb-sized" hole in one of the boost hoses from the turbo to the engine and once it was replaced, the smoke ceased (and the power was improved). The engine was an ISX Cummins and it had a shriek/whistle that we never did resolve - I long suspected it to be an exhaust gasket, but it was turned in and retired instead of being fixed.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
On your DT360, it sounds to me like it's "normal"; the couple seconds of black smoke is probably the time it takes for your turbo to spool up.

My last Volvo truck poured black smoke for months (constant when driving); it clearly didn't have the "normal" amount of power but was drive-able. It was eventually found to have a "thumb-sized" hole in one of the boost hoses from the turbo to the engine and once it was replaced, the smoke ceased (and the power was improved). The engine was an ISX Cummins and it had a shriek/whistle that we never did resolve - I long suspected it to be an exhaust gasket, but it was turned in and retired instead of being fixed.
thats about how it feels and sounds too... since that engine has a doghouse i can hear the turbo spool in.. and yeah its aboiut right.. the smoke isnt coal-thick and is gone once I hear the turbo and notice that extra kick as my tach goes out against the torque converter...

since I cant see the Light smoke I notice in the mirror at night against headlights.. I dont know what color it is.. but its not bad and i never have any blackening on the back of the bus from the exhaust.. so im guessing its not blowing or burning lots of oil.. it sounds good and has good power (for a DT-360) so unless I just drive it... I suppose it could use a little more power on the hills... but I havent gotten brave enough to turn the fuel screws yet... though im sure if I really wanted to make a 65-70 MPH rig i would need to upgrade the transmission from my AT545, then turn the screws on the DT-360...

or I just drive the other bus that goes 65 as it is.. LOL
-Christopher