Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Re: couple of questions and info needing....

i say stick with houses.

conventional wisdom is that you are lucky to sell a bus RV conversion for the amount of money you put into it.

the addition of a jacuzzi seems to defy that logic.....

Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
and i mean somthing nice, not crappy, i mean real RV workmanship, new paintjob thats 1 of a kind on the outside, maybe a deck, and a bed and a few changable beds, a bathroom/shower, and kitchen.... goodies.....)

2. HOW much can i expect a conversion to cost, and i mean a rough ballpark. im not expecting anything rlly over 5-6k and that includes the bus.
hmmm 5-6k including the bus and a one of a kind paint job.??? you must be in a dream world. the one of a kind paint job is gonna cost you that much on the bus.
A nice conversion like you intend to do is gonna cost you way more...........do one first for your self and you will find out. And no i dont think you can sell a skoolie conversion with profit. The amount of time and money you are going to put in there will be way more then you can ever expect from a sale.
Of course there is exceptions like Lapeer's jacuzzi conversions. So go for something very special that no one else has and you might make a profit, just a paint job will not do unless you are already a known name in the art world.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

As a newbie convert, there are a couple of services I'd be interested in paying a knowledgeable technician to perform.
1) Check out the mechanics, wiring & auxiliary systems of the vehicle and replace whatever needs fixing.
2) Strip out seats, old flooring & insulation, clean up any rust/rotten spots & prime metal for new paint.

Adding stuff to an empty shell (new insulation / specialty wiring / new systems) should be up to the owner.
But having a bus inspected & corrected by an expert in the field would be worth paying for (in my humble opinion).
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International Cornbinder
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
As a newbie convert, there are a couple of services I'd be interested in paying a knowledgeable technician to perform.
1) Check out the mechanics, wiring & auxiliary systems of the vehicle and replace whatever needs fixing.
2) Strip out seats, old flooring & insulation, clean up any rust/rotten spots & prime metal for new paint.

Adding stuff to an empty shell (new insulation / specialty wiring / new systems) should be up to the owner.
But having a bus inspected & corrected by an expert in the field would be worth paying for (in my humble opinion).

pulling seats out isnt hard.
gotmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

gettin your hands all over the bus is the only way.Buses are like rot rods-no end to the labor no end to the project.I have tons of time in my bus-paint,body,interior,brakes,TONS! Im not doing this to make money,i do it cause i love it!Go but a rv and see how fast it depreciates,i know my bus is appreciating! Timbuk
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

I can't wait to dive into converting my bus. But since I'm mechanically ignorant, having someone knowledgeable in all things mechanical look at the bus first is a must. This will be my new home. I won't be able to afford the mistake of buying a clunker that will leave me stranded in the outback (or even on a busy freeway).

The suggestion of clearing out the seats only seemed logical if the "inspector" is going to pull find "all" the rust. There's plenty of photos in here of rot and decay that was hidden by the rubber mats and amidst the fiberglass batting within the humid interior of the bus hull.

Having someone properly repair said damage would be invaluable in the long run. Don't know if it'd be a viable business, though. Not sure how many people doing conversions that would have the know-how or time for the learning curve. I'd pay a professional to do it so I could get into the actual build, though. I'm all about building. Not so much the destruction.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
Bus Nut

strip the interior yourself to save a day's labor charges and then post some pictures for advice on the sheetmetal or take it to a trusted mechanic or bodyshop for advice.
you are going to get better workmanship if you seek advice and information from several sources and then do the work yourself or at least supervise the work being done armed with knowledge.
the more involved you are in the build, the less intimidating challenges/opportunities/problems with your rig will be in the future.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote