Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444
Rated Cap: 22
Covers for the Blinking lights

I read through some of the advice on getting rid of the holes left by the flashing school lights but I didn't take any of it. I found some 7"x1/8" round steel blanks for $3.05 ea. and figured with a few screw holes they would make nice looking permanent covers. Has anyone else gone this route and is it a good or bad idea? At 1/8 inch they will certainly stay nice and flat. No wrinkle issues like light sheetmetal covers. Just thought maybe somebody had already tried steel blanks and would have advice. If not I'll post the results when I get and install them.

Roachhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummings turbo diesel
Re: Covers for the Blinking lights

I looked at those really hard, then one evening I went mudding with a friend. He had four 1 million candle watt lights on his grill, my mind was made I will have them front and back. Good luck and post pics when done.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, to liberty, to abundance, to selfishness, to complacency, to apathy, to dependence, and back again to bondage.
kc_4_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466/AT545

Not to hijack the thread, but... I'm curious about how the laws are applied regarding the upper blinkers. I'm pretty sure that in Texas there is no law stating that they must be removed, so I'm fine having my lights in Texas. But if I travel to another state that requires removal of the lights, could they legally hassle me about my lights? After all, the bus is legally registered and meets all the requirements of the state in which it is registered. The same could apply to the requirement to paint the bus a color other than yellow and/or cover the "school bus" signage. I'm not sure if Texas has laws about any of that. Hell, we just do whatever we want down here.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Engine: T444
Rated Cap: 22

Good question on the color, PA doesn't require repainting but NY just to the north does. I was going to just paint over the lenses in front and put some clear lenses on back to wire up some back up lights but in the Title and registration section someone said PA denied their RV title because of the lights even after the bulb where removed and lenses were painted over so I just figured I'd do away with them completely, that way the state wouldn't have that excuse to give me a hard time. So far I'm getting nowhere with the registration process as it is. I plan to get the RV title but that takes months and I want some kind of plates in the mean time. Government is very frustrating.
Roachhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

Here is the Indiana code
Quote:
IC 20-27-9-16
Bus not used to transport students; modification required
Sec. 16. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), whenever a school bus is purchased for and is being used for any purpose except to transport students, the purchaser shall:
(1) remove the flasher lights;
(2) remove the stop arm; and
(3) paint the bus any color except the national standard school bus chrome yellow.
(b) Whenever a school bus is purchased for use, and is being used, as a church bus (as defined in IC 9-29-5-9(a)), the purchaser:
(1) may retain the flasher lights if the purchaser renders the flasher lights inoperable;
(2) may retain the stop arm if the purchaser renders the stop arm inoperable; and
(3) shall paint the bus any color except the national standard school bus chrome yellow.
As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.11. Amended by P.L.70-2009, SEC.4.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Our bus was operating as a white water rafting bus in SC/GA/NC (title is SC). The bus is painted over (blue and white) but the flasher lights (red/amber covers included) were still intact and operational when we bought it. BTW, all the rafting buses we've seen in the Ocoee River Gorge still have the lights. We drove it out here from Franklin, NC thru GA, TN, AL, MS, LA, TX to NM. No tags, no questions (the jeep being towed by the bus was tagged in TN). Part of the reasoning behind the "dump the safety yellow" push is so that a pedophile doesn't use a schoolbus to pick up a bus load of victims. They don't want a kiddy to mistake an out-of-service school bus as the real deal. Also the lights deal I think has it roots in the same theory... lots of private schools and churches use solid colour schoolbuses and still retain the flashers. Just a theory on my part. My goal would be to make the bus look as little like a school bus as possible. But then, I don't have warm, fuzzy memories of school.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote