Old 12-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: International
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
What did you do after you pulled them off? Did you replace them or put new ceiling material over or? I can see how all the extra height would be amazing if the old insulation could just be removed, new foam sprayed in, then covered with a new wooden ceiling (or whatever material each of us choose)
jwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:48 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilcox View Post
What did you do after you pulled them off? Did you replace them or put new ceiling material over or? I can see how all the extra height would be amazing if the old insulation could just be removed, new foam sprayed in, then covered with a new wooden ceiling (or whatever material each of us choose)
My plan is to replace the old panels with a new wooden ceiling. I'm still in the demo phase, trying to work on it between college, work (when I can find it) and Honey Do's

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Well that just changes alot of my plans.....adds to the work load but I can totally see the benefits now with ripping out the old ceiling and walls.....thanks for opening my mind
SOOOOO, just HOW did you tear that old ceiling and walls out?
Looking forward to more great ideas from all of you!
Old 12-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
I used an impact screw driver with #2 and sometimes #3 phillips bits. Get more than a few of them and make sure they are impact rated. Pulling the ceiling down is going to take a while. Wear goggles and a breathing mask when you pull down the panels since a lot of dust and who-knows-what else will fall down. Some of those screws may strip as well, so be prepared to grind them off. Oh yeah, and I'm sure you know to take out the speakers and lights in the ceiling as well first, unlike me.

On my bus, I unscrewed the textured metal panels located just below the windows and had to cut the top portion with a metal cutting wheel since I couldn't get them to let go.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:30 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

OMG.....I'm reminded of why I never let this idea go very far before.
Did you use pneumatic tools or electric?
Old 12-07-2015, 03:31 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
I have a cordless electric impact screw driver. That and the grinder are the tools I use the most. The impact makes a lot of difference than using a regular electric drill-type screwdriver when it comes to not stripping the screws.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

You really need to do some research on the materials that you are or are not considering using. Another person above has mentioned the lack of formaldehyde in modern plywood (quite frankly, it gets a bad rap), but no one is mentioning the risk of methyldiisocyanate exposure with the spray foam. Personally, I would use both in my build.

With everything, there are trade-offs.

I am not saying use one or not use one, but frankly, I think people get their underwear in a twist about things that really are not issues.

Build the bus like you like it, and if you can find a material that works, use it.
msumoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
I used a #2 Square drive on a cordless impact gun for all my screws. The wall panels are tack-welded under the windows, so you'll need to spend some time with a cold chisel and hammer. Or an air chisel.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Actually I did do research on the foam and from what info is available, it doesn't sound like it offgasses like the formaldehyde. Still, I'd prefer more natural materials whenever possible, although I'm practical enough to consider all the options before totally vetoing anything. The mineral wool seems like the best moisture resistant alternative to foam, and I'm still attracted to it.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

OMG again....I was just out in the bus looking at those tack-welded panels (thanks for the terminology :-0 and the screws in general that would need to be removed in order to take down the old ceiling and walls......seems so overwhelming that I just have to let it ride and see if I get some greater clarity on how I could actually manage that. Gosh, I would LOVE to do it though.....seems so like the way to go to do it right. Maybe investing in some pneumatic tools would make the difference.

Tags
ceiling, flooring, insulation, screws, walls