Old 05-01-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Sorry, Phil....I forgot you have one of those (pfffttt.....) Bluebirds with the T-handle high idle, pull to stop lever, etc. I test drove a TC2000 like that with all the t-handles. It started right up, got out the snow, and drove great. We didn't run into a problem until we got back to UTB and we couldn't get it to shut down. We pulled the lever, but with a broken cable it wasn't very effective I kinda like my Ford....turn the key to start it, turn the key to turn it off....simple as that.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Yeah my pull to shut off handle works fine, but the throttle lock T handle slowly works it's way back in.

Jason’s bus has a pull to stop lever also, I just assumed all diesel busses did. I wish I had a turn off with the key bus, although it is kinda handy to be able to take the keys out with the engine still running. Why just the other day I took the key out driving down the highway to pick something out of my teeth.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
The t-handle shutdowns are probably safer to be perfectly honest. In that case you are manually shutting down fuel to the injecter pump whereas I'm relying on electrical means. I guess if turning the key energizes a solenoid to allow fuel to flow it should be fairly reliable. I've never had a problem. I wouldn't mind having a handle, but atleast this way I don't have to worry about what might happen if I ask one of my less mechanically gifted friends to turn the bus off. When my arm gets caught in the fan belt I don't want to have to explain how to turn it off.

P.S. Ford buses also have column shifters...not that I prefer either the column or dash shifters (I actually prefer the kind that come up from the floor and come with and extra pedal to the left of the brake ), but I don't think I've ever seen the column shifter on any other make.