Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2016, 01:58 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
Cruise control installation options

any one installing cruise control? I assume on dt466 its just like installing it on any other carbed vehicle. Since there are air brakes on the bus does this mean they don't use vacuum pumps at all. Is there a spot in the block to install a vacuum pump to run a cruise control. I guess it can be all electronic. never installed one before But i think i have seen them like in the old Kraco units.

Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
You can make your own.
Instructions are here

Cruise Control

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #3
Almost There

BOOM
CaptainHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
cruise controls dont use vacuum these days.. they are all electric.. there are some easy off-the-shelf cruises that will connect to the pedal itself rather than mucking with the linkages under the hood..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
You can make your own.
Instructions are here

Cruise Control

Dick
Neat setup. I've wondered if some of the 90's stuff* could be used as a stand alone system. Indeed it can. Have you found that it resumes smoothly? Getting the gain (how much it steps on it for a given action) correct is only by luck I guess since you can't change that? Did you pick a certain module? Maybe one from a 3500 vs. a 1500 maybe? Or maybe you fussed with where it hooks to the pedal?

And, am I understanding things correctly in that you don't have a "coast" function? I use the tap up and down features all the time on my cruise, I'd miss that. (on edit: It's set/coast, right? Just push set for coast?)

* I'm a big fan of 90's electronics. Lots of non-integrated, stand alone modules. I have automatic headlights, auto up/down power window, and keyless entry with keypad on my motorhome for example.
ennonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
Bus Geek

coupled with an arduino or RPI the 90s electronics can be integrated pretty well.. and even some of the 80s stuff..

blower speed controllers from cadillac are 0-5 volt signals (used in 85-8 and are oversized.. radiator fan controllers were the same way too and could handle upwards of 50 amps continuous..

on the cruise MOST of the controllers set the speed when you Release the set button.. so the coast function can be obtained by holding the set button.. at least all my old GM's did that..

of course if you have an 'E' bus that doesnt already have cruise its an EASY install to add it..
-Christopher
-Christopher
Old 10-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

ennonne

Quote:
Have you found that it resumes smoothly? Getting the gain (how much it steps on it for a given action) correct is only by luck I guess since you can't change that?
It is smooth in that it pulls the throttle and bus is big so it accelerates slowly. It works just like it did on the original vehicle.

Quote:
Or maybe you fussed with where it hooks to the pedal?
I still have to play with that a bit. My "lever" is pretty short and if it needs to accelerate hard, say up a hill, it releases. I can't seem to find a spec for what total travel is on the module.

Quote:
Did you pick a certain module? Maybe one from a 3500 vs. a 1500 maybe?
They all use the same module. They all pretty much cross to the same part number. There are modules that look the same but get a signal from the ECU, my understanding is they won't work.

Quote:
am I understanding things correctly in that you don't have a "coast" function?
That's what the button labeled "Coast" is for.

Quote:
I use the tap up and down features all the time on my cruise, I'd miss that. (on edit: It's set/coast, right? Just push set for coast?)
When cruise is engaged, "Set" button decreases speed, "Resume" button increases speed.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #8
Bus Geek

pumping a hill is hard... I think most of the GM's were set up if they lost more than 5 MPH from the set speed then they would disengage...

unless you know exactly the Pulse per mile of the sensor on the original GM car and the one o nthe bus match.. then you have no idea what actual speed you are setting the cruise at... the cruise simply holds the speed as it sees it.. it could "see" 85 MPH even when you know you are going 60... which works fine as it holds.. your bump up and down will move your actual speed up and down less... and an actual speed drop of 3 or 4 MPH may translate to more than 5 in the controller which would drop out...

its not uncommon at all for a school bus to drop 5 MPH going up a hill.. esp if the hill comes on strong and quick the turbo spool up time is slow enough the bus can slow 5 MPH before being able to hold its speed..
-Christopher
Old 10-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #9
Skoolie

Is there an add on modual that will work as a speed sensor for an old mechanical bus? Mine is an 85 with DT466 and a MT643.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
Bus Geek

does it have a cable speedometer coming off of the 643?
-Christopher
Old 10-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
Skoolie

Yes, I believe it does.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #12
Bus Geek

I think I have aseen a speed sensor somewherew that has a passthru for a cable.. I remember it was.. It was for people thaty wanted to add cruise to an old hotrod and keep the original speedo..

you can also go the route of some where you put a magnet ring on the driveshaft and a bracket mounted pickup..
- Christopher
Old 10-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #13
Skoolie

Thanks, I will look into that.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:00 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Dakota Digital has some options, also google speedometer pulse generator.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:22 AM   #15
Bus Geek

dakota is the one I was looking at for the DEV bus... DEV does have a pulse generator already on it.. i might have to isolate it from impedence.. depends on how sensitive the IHC dashboard is and the cruise unit to having another device on the circuit...

on the NORDSKOG that I used for my monte carlo, it didnt care when I hooked another device to the speed sensor.. as ong as I made sure both were correct polarity and both deivces used the same ground reference point...

-Christopher
Old 10-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
ennonne

That's what the button labeled "Coast" is for.

When cruise is engaged, "Set" button decreases speed, "Resume" button increases speed.
Gocha. Your writeup said "The switch marked “Coast” on my control panel is a disengage switch." I'm just used to "coast" only coasting until you release it. It's just a nomenclature thing. You have all the normal functions, I was thrown off by your comment in your writeup.
ennonne is offline   Reply With Quote