Old 08-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me and my lady. We are going to Burn too. Leaving on the 26th. Huge 40ft project. I wish you luck
StruggleBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #12
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 78 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by StruggleBus View Post
Sounds like you're in the same boat as me and my lady. We are going to Burn too. Leaving on the 26th. Huge 40ft project. I wish you luck
Thanks! We're leaving Colorado on the 28th,so I have all kinds of time, lol....

We'll be at 7 and Esp. Bruleť - Bacon brunches, stop in and say hi if you like.

Red n yellow circus tent. Might be a red and black set up as well.

- Vic
Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #13
Almost There

Updates. Yes, all the buses listed as having "7.3 Cummins ISC" engines have 8.3's, MD3060's, and retarders. Most have at least one issue standing out. Most of the issues are things that can be fixed with enough time and/or money, but there are a few that I'm just not sure which way to go.

There's one with a fairly new looking engine and decent tires. Everything was looking good until the rear tank suddenly dumped air pressure. It didn't trip the E-brake, but it did go into alarm and is showing red on the gauge. Not sure what could cause that. Power tank drain perhaps? Didn't see any switches for that and I'm not sure how it would work.

Another one, everything looks great, but there's no light on the retarder switch. Could be a switch, could be a dead circuit, could be a malfunctioning piece of equipment. Again, no way to really dig into it.

There's another one that has great tires, runs good, but the switch to change with gauge you're looking at fails to operate, one of the ABS modules twitches after you shut it down, etc.

A couple of them have dead batteries. The blue bus (#45, I think?) has the start of a conversion done wrong and the batteries were too dead to start. It has a 5.9 24V Cummins. Not sure which trans, but I'd guess 545. Has a shifter handle instead of the pushbutton setup.

Lots of things to think about for the next couple of days. If you have questions about a specific lot, feel free to PM me and I'll answer it the best I can.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #14
Almost There

Well, now I have one of each kind. Pics of the "new" sled...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150812_140343.jpg (182.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20150812_093325.jpg (248.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60
Nice! What are you going to do with it and how are you going to tow it away? How often does this place have auctions for buses like this? I will be keeping an eye on this site. Those buses are exactly what I'm looking for in a skoolie. 8.3L, MD3060 and I'd love to have the emergency door on the right side so I could lower it and put a RV style door in and a seat up front for the passenger. I wanted to bid on one of these but couldn't get to Denver for a few weeks at least.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:22 AM   #16
Almost There

I don't think there's any set schedule, just whatever comes in for auction each month. I bought my Thomas in June, but there were only two school buses and about 30 Orion V transit buses. This auction had about 20 school buses from Jefferson County, very little rust. I guess they got a bunch of money last year, bought new buses, so these got retired.

As for the tow away, this bus had a note about a bad throttle valve. I picked up a new one this afternoon, but it had the wrong mounting boss. I loosened up the existing valve to see if I could make the air cylinder work. I was doing something in the cab and noticed the cylinder wasn't leaking air anymore, so I fired up the engine and hit the pedal one time. The resounding VROOM was enough for me to put it back together and drive it to my shop. I guess they don't like sitting in reserve....

Whatever the cause, this one went for about $1000 less than the driveable buses. Between the new tires and LED tail lights, I'm pretty sure I could part it out and be money ahead...
Old 08-14-2015, 01:17 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Sounds like you got your work cut out for you
Are you going to try and register it as a motorhome?
StruggleBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:55 AM   #18
Almost There

Yeah, probably. We made an interesting discovery tonight. On the Thomas, the rubber floor was laid directly on top of the steel deck. On this Bluebird, there's a layer of plywood under the rubber and it's swelled quite a bit in places, especially around the fuel fill cutout.

I was planning to strip the floor, coat with Ospho, lay a vapor barrier, Styrofoam underlayment, and vinyl planks. I'm afraid there will be more rust than I planned to contend with right away, so I think we're gonna leave the rubber in, just put down a layer of carpet padding and some cheap shag, do everything as cheap, but practical as possible, then tear it out and do it right for next year.

Ain't got time to do it right, always got time to do it again...

PS - I'm having a sale on bus seats. I got brown ones and green ones, high backs, low backs. Hurry, supplies are limited!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150813_182151.jpg (149.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20150813_173558.jpg (214.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-14-2015, 01:58 AM   #19
Almost There

And yeah, gonna shoot for RV registration.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:14 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
How much was it? My next one will have AC
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote