Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 280
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Custom driver seat?

Was wondering what people did as far as the drivers seat. Found an electric rv chair on amazon but was hoping to see some images of what other people have done. Gonna do some googleing as amazon is kinda limited in that regard i think

Please share!
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #2
Skoolie
 
BennysTire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Allenstown NH
Posts: 205
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
I used forklift seats in my short busses.
My TC1000 has an air seat but I have my eye on a nice seat from a cabover Kenworth...

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,504
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'm heading to my local PullAPart and find something out of a Cadillac CTS or something for $75. Then I'm going to mount 4 nice late model bucket seats from a car on pedestals in the "living room"
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
I scored a few Recaro air seats off classifieds. Might grab 2 more for pax.

Check with truck dismantlers-

How are you going to control those cadillac CTS seats? I'd like to go that route, but getting them to function.

2009-05-14_214953_seats1.gif
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
Skoolie
 
BennysTire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Allenstown NH
Posts: 205
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I scored a few Recaro air seats off classifieds. Might grab 2 more for pax.

Check with truck dismantlers-

How are you going to control those cadillac CTS seats? I'd like to go that route, but getting them to function.

Attachment 19043
Just need a few DPDT toggles

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #6
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennysTire View Post
Just need a few DPDT toggles
Then what? I count 8, and that is without lumbar controls. Do those motors all have built-in limit switches? I had to rewire the recaro seats to bypass the computer that controls them, and they were 1/4 as complex.

I did find this:

I did it and I know somebody else did the same. I got mine off of ebay for pretty cheap. Moving the fronts to the rear when the kids get bigger. The fronts are awesome after putting in the CTS. I bought another set of the air bag frames to put them down on. Since the drivers seat is controlled by the car's ecu it takes a bit of wiring to get the motion parts to work. I think I used 10 3 prong relays. The tough part is just finding all of the wires and where they come from. I took out everything that was not needed and with a spare battery (fused) you can test each circuit and make sure that you have each one labeled prior to putting in the relay. Here are the wiring diagrams that I got from the Cadillac website.
As far as the heater and air blower for the seats, I have not spent anymore time on them yet. I put in the controls for the heater in the dash and ran the wires down to the seats but didn't get any further. I think I'll send it over to my favorite shop to finish it out and get the details done.
I'm not sure that the switches I got will work with the heater system and will have to take out the heater pads and get the ones that match the switches. With the air, I got the fans to go, but I think you need a potentiometer (maybe) or somebody that is a little brighter in that electrical department to figure it out. I'd like to know if it's a simple work around. Hope this helps, good luck. Andy
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,504
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I scored a few Recaro air seats off classifieds. Might grab 2 more for pax.

Check with truck dismantlers-

How are you going to control those cadillac CTS seats? I'd like to go that route, but getting them to function.

Attachment 19043
Pedestal with a big steel plate to mount the electric base. Most seats mount with 4 bolts, so just need a plate to locate the bolts.
If the electrics are an issue,
i'll pull the seat from it's base and mount it to an easier electric seat base.Hey, i have a grinder, sawmill, and a welder. I can do anything.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
Skoolie
 
BennysTire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Allenstown NH
Posts: 205
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
I've made custom controls for nearly every power seat I've owned. I just wire a DPDT to each motor just like a window regulator. When the seat stops going forward, let go of the switch. That's always been my limit switch

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,340
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Was wondering what people did as far as the drivers seat. Found an electric rv chair on amazon but was hoping to see some images of what other people have done. Gonna do some googleing as amazon is kinda limited in that regard i think

Please share!
Go for an air ride seat out of a semi or bus.
Rides SO nice.

__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:56 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,340
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennysTire View Post
I used forklift seats in my short busses.
My TC1000 has an air seat but I have my eye on a nice seat from a cabover Kenworth...

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
That's what I'm talkin bout!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #11
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,504
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Go for an air ride seat out of a semi or bus.
Rides SO nice.

Since my trips are going to be 400-900+ miles I want a real comfy seat. The late model CTS seats run about $4K, doubt I'd find any at PullAPart.Now what I did find was lots and lots of 00-04 DeVille and SeVille seats for $35 for leather bucket with power rack. I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can come home with.
I can mount it to an air ride base.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #12
Skoolie
 
BennysTire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Allenstown NH
Posts: 205
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Since my trips are going to be 400-900+ miles I want a real comfy seat. The late model CTS seats run about $4K, doubt I'd find any at PullAPart.Now what I did find was lots and lots of 00-04 DeVille and SeVille seats for $35 for leather bucket with power rack. I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can come home with.
I can mount it to an air ride base.
Two words:
Lincoln Continental

There's a movie theater here that uses them, soooo nice.

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:44 PM   #13
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You'd think someone could put a cup holder on one of those chairs.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #14
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,340
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Since my trips are going to be 400-900+ miles I want a real comfy seat. The late model CTS seats run about $4K, doubt I'd find any at PullAPart.Now what I did find was lots and lots of 00-04 DeVille and SeVille seats for $35 for leather bucket with power rack. I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can come home with.
I can mount it to an air ride base.
Truck seats are made to go a million miles, and a good one is REALLY comfy. but do as you wish. Roll your own.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #15
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,504
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Truck seats are made to go a million miles, and a good one is REALLY comfy. but do as you wish. Roll your own.
And I'm sure from a truck place they'll be pricey. I certainly am not planning on putting a million miles on what ever seat I choose. What ever I choose will certainly last at least 100k miles. My Dakota truck seats have 260k on them and they are still nice. All I need is something comfy, 100 way electric adjustable, leather on an air base. If I wear it out, I'll buy another $35 seat
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:29 AM   #16
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
And I'm sure from a truck place they'll be pricey. I certainly am not planning on putting a million miles on what ever seat I choose. What ever I choose will certainly last at least 100k miles. My Dakota truck seats have 260k on them and they are still nice. All I need is something comfy, 100 way electric adjustable, leather on an air base. If I wear it out, I'll buy another $35 seat
It's not the million miles that is the main factor. It's the comfort over 500-1000 miles. Better seats cost more, but they are simply better built and more comfortable. A comfortable journey is a safer one.

The seat in mine was comfortable for the 500-mile ride home. My right leg suffered a bit, but cruise control will take care of that.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:03 AM   #17
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
There are some nice ones out there these days. Those guys sit in the saddle a long time. Top quality truck seats have multiple air bladders in the cushion that periodically inflate and deflate to stimulate blood flow. Weird, at first, but nice. Programmable.

I have one I was going to put in my semi, but since I sold that truck...Maybe it'll go in the 5-ton Cargo truck. It would have gone in the bus if I had matching copilot seat.

10-best-truck-seats

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:48 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: PNW
Posts: 33
Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Dt466
Rated Cap: 42
https://m.ebay.com/itm/USSC-Air-Ride...app-cvip-panel

We found this listing for a locally available seat. Haven’t picked it up yet but we’ll get it in the bus somehow. Hubs was not a fan of the original 1987 seat on the 150 mile drive home. Lol.
evathedefiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:26 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Newbury Township, Ohio
Posts: 22
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: 3800 IHC
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
I found a Semi/Dump/Bus junkyard about 1 hour from here. I got a pretty nice air ride seat for 200 bucks. I had a buddy of mine who owns a carpet cleaning company clean it for me and it looked brand new. I removed the old base from the stock seat because it was too tall. I cut the old base down and re-bent it so it was about 2.5 inches tall instead of 6 inches tall. Once that was bolted back to the floor, I drilled new holes for the new seat, bolted it down, connected it to air, and it works perfectly. Finding a good seat with both arm rests is not easy but I got lucky. It's actually really comfortable too.
fabrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:37 AM   #20
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,340
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by evathedefiler View Post
https://m.ebay.com/itm/USSC-Air-Ride...app-cvip-panel

We found this listing for a locally available seat. Haven’t picked it up yet but we’ll get it in the bus somehow. Hubs was not a fan of the original 1987 seat on the 150 mile drive home. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrini View Post
I found a Semi/Dump/Bus junkyard about 1 hour from here. I got a pretty nice air ride seat for 200 bucks. I had a buddy of mine who owns a carpet cleaning company clean it for me and it looked brand new. I removed the old base from the stock seat because it was too tall. I cut the old base down and re-bent it so it was about 2.5 inches tall instead of 6 inches tall. Once that was bolted back to the floor, I drilled new holes for the new seat, bolted it down, connected it to air, and it works perfectly. Finding a good seat with both arm rests is not easy but I got lucky. It's actually really comfortable too.
I got a brand new bostrom with tags on it at a yard sale for $100!
Threw it in with a bus I sold.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×