Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Custom driver seat?

Was wondering what people did as far as the drivers seat. Found an electric rv chair on amazon but was hoping to see some images of what other people have done. Gonna do some googleing as amazon is kinda limited in that regard i think

Please share!

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC-1000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 39 Students
I used forklift seats in my short busses.
My TC1000 has an air seat but I have my eye on a nice seat from a cabover Kenworth...

Sent from my E6883 using Tapatalk
BennysTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'm heading to my local PullAPart and find something out of a Cadillac CTS or something for $75. Then I'm going to mount 4 nice late model bucket seats from a car on pedestals in the "living room"
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
I scored a few Recaro air seats off classifieds. Might grab 2 more for pax.

Check with truck dismantlers-

How are you going to control those cadillac CTS seats? I'd like to go that route, but getting them to function.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-05-14_214953_seats1.gif
Views:	22
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	19043
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

How are you going to control those cadillac CTS seats? I'd like to go that route, but getting them to function.

Attachment 19043
Just need a few DPDT toggles

Old 02-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennysTire View Post
Just need a few DPDT toggles
Then what? I count 8, and that is without lumbar controls. Do those motors all have built-in limit switches? I had to rewire the recaro seats to bypass the computer that controls them, and they were 1/4 as complex.

I did find this:

I did it and I know somebody else did the same. I got mine off of ebay for pretty cheap. Moving the fronts to the rear when the kids get bigger. The fronts are awesome after putting in the CTS. I bought another set of the air bag frames to put them down on. Since the drivers seat is controlled by the car's ecu it takes a bit of wiring to get the motion parts to work. I think I used 10 3 prong relays. The tough part is just finding all of the wires and where they come from. I took out everything that was not needed and with a spare battery (fused) you can test each circuit and make sure that you have each one labeled prior to putting in the relay. Here are the wiring diagrams that I got from the Cadillac website.
As far as the heater and air blower for the seats, I have not spent anymore time on them yet. I put in the controls for the heater in the dash and ran the wires down to the seats but didn't get any further. I think I'll send it over to my favorite shop to finish it out and get the details done.
I'm not sure that the switches I got will work with the heater system and will have to take out the heater pads and get the ones that match the switches. With the air, I got the fans to go, but I think you need a potentiometer (maybe) or somebody that is a little brighter in that electrical department to figure it out. I'd like to know if it's a simple work around. Hope this helps, good luck. Andy
Old 02-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

Attachment 19043
Pedestal with a big steel plate to mount the electric base. Most seats mount with 4 bolts, so just need a plate to locate the bolts.
If the electrics are an issue,
i'll pull the seat from it's base and mount it to an easier electric seat base.Hey, i have a grinder, sawmill, and a welder. I can do anything.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
Skoolie

I've made custom controls for nearly every power seat I've owned. I just wire a DPDT to each motor just like a window regulator. When the seat stops going forward, let go of the switch. That's always been my limit switch [emoji6]

Old 02-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Was wondering what people did as far as the drivers seat. Found an electric rv chair on amazon but was hoping to see some images of what other people have done. Gonna do some googleing as amazon is kinda limited in that regard i think

Please share!
Go for an air ride seat out of a semi or bus.
Rides SO nice.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennysTire View Post
I used forklift seats in my short busses.
My TC1000 has an air seat but I have my eye on a nice seat from a cabover Kenworth...

That's what I'm talkin bout!
Old 02-10-2018, 09:37 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Go for an air ride seat out of a semi or bus.
Rides SO nice.

Since my trips are going to be 400-900+ miles I want a real comfy seat. The late model CTS seats run about $4K, doubt I'd find any at PullAPart.Now what I did find was lots and lots of 00-04 DeVille and SeVille seats for $35 for leather bucket with power rack. I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can come home with.
I can mount it to an air ride base.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Since my trips are going to be 400-900+ miles I want a real comfy seat. The late model CTS seats run about $4K, doubt I'd find any at PullAPart.Now what I did find was lots and lots of 00-04 DeVille and SeVille seats for $35 for leather bucket with power rack. I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can come home with.
Two words:
Lincoln Continental

There's a movie theater here that uses them, soooo nice.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You'd think someone could put a cup holder on one of those chairs.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:56 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Truck seats are made to go a million miles, and a good one is REALLY comfy. but do as you wish. Roll your own.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:02 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Truck seats are made to go a million miles, and a good one is REALLY comfy. but do as you wish. Roll your own.
And I'm sure from a truck place they'll be pricey. I certainly am not planning on putting a million miles on what ever seat I choose. What ever I choose will certainly last at least 100k miles. My Dakota truck seats have 260k on them and they are still nice. All I need is something comfy, 100 way electric adjustable, leather on an air base. If I wear it out, I'll buy another $35 seat
Old 02-10-2018, 11:29 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
And I'm sure from a truck place they'll be pricey. I certainly am not planning on putting a million miles on what ever seat I choose. What ever I choose will certainly last at least 100k miles. My Dakota truck seats have 260k on them and they are still nice. All I need is something comfy, 100 way electric adjustable, leather on an air base. If I wear it out, I'll buy another $35 seat
It's not the million miles that is the main factor. It's the comfort over 500-1000 miles. Better seats cost more, but they are simply better built and more comfortable. A comfortable journey is a safer one.

The seat in mine was comfortable for the 500-mile ride home. My right leg suffered a bit, but cruise control will take care of that.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #17
Traveling

There are some nice ones out there these days. Those guys sit in the saddle a long time. Top quality truck seats have multiple air bladders in the cushion that periodically inflate and deflate to stimulate blood flow. Weird, at first, but nice. Programmable.

I have one I was going to put in my semi, but since I sold that truck...Maybe it'll go in the 5-ton Cargo truck. It would have gone in the bus if I had matching copilot seat.

10-best-truck-seats

Old 02-11-2018, 12:48 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Dt466
Rated Cap: 42
https://m.ebay.com/itm/USSC-Air-Ride...app-cvip-panel

We found this listing for a locally available seat. Haven’t picked it up yet but we’ll get it in the bus somehow. Hubs was not a fan of the original 1987 seat on the 150 mile drive home. Lol.
evathedefiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:26 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I found a Semi/Dump/Bus junkyard about 1 hour from here. I got a pretty nice air ride seat for 200 bucks. I had a buddy of mine who owns a carpet cleaning company clean it for me and it looked brand new. I removed the old base from the stock seat because it was too tall. I cut the old base down and re-bent it so it was about 2.5 inches tall instead of 6 inches tall. Once that was bolted back to the floor, I drilled new holes for the new seat, bolted it down, connected it to air, and it works perfectly. Finding a good seat with both arm rests is not easy but I got lucky. It's actually really comfortable too.
fabrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by evathedefiler View Post
https://m.ebay.com/itm/USSC-Air-Ride...app-cvip-panel

We found this listing for a locally available seat. Haven’t picked it up yet but we’ll get it in the bus somehow. Hubs was not a fan of the original 1987 seat on the 150 mile drive home. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrini View Post
I found a Semi/Dump/Bus junkyard about 1 hour from here. I got a pretty nice air ride seat for 200 bucks. I had a buddy of mine who owns a carpet cleaning company clean it for me and it looked brand new. I removed the old base from the stock seat because it was too tall. I cut the old base down and re-bent it so it was about 2.5 inches tall instead of 6 inches tall. Once that was bolted back to the floor, I drilled new holes for the new seat, bolted it down, connected it to air, and it works perfectly. Finding a good seat with both arm rests is not easy but I got lucky. It's actually really comfortable too.
I got a brand new bostrom with tags on it at a yard sale for $100!
Threw it in with a bus I sold.