Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Custom roof

This post is in regards to roofing materials and insulation and sealing techniques NOT the support structure or ceiling.

I will be building a type 'D' and plan on raising the roof to gain about 7' clearance.
I have noticed that most RV's have flat roofs and would like one as well.
Also i will be lifting and probably replacing the windows with horizontal sliders and stationary windows in some places, I prefer the streamline look of a Greyhound like one continuous window.

I plan on haveing a full or near full-length roof deck as well.

I see a few way to go with this, Plywood, sheet-metal and sealant with a gap between the deck or possibly use the deck as part of the roofing?

I think an air gap between the deck and roof would help on cooling.

Thank you for your advice.

davisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
You are looking at a great deal of money fabrication. You might want to look at a box truck or coach bus instead of a school bus.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
You are looking at a great deal of money fabrication. You might want to look at a box truck or coach bus instead of a school bus.
Rent is expensive and basically throwing $money$ in a hole in the ground.

The whole bus conversion endeavor will be a great deal of fabrication which doesn't scare me, what does is doing something wrong that bites me in the ass later like a leaky roof or a leaky floor heating. Those are my current two biggest concerns. But this post isn't about money or work...
Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: tc2000
Chassis: blue bird
Engine: cummings 5.9
Roof won't leak if you seal it correctly. Atleast not for the first ten years. Having Deck is worth it.
Why raise the roof only 7"?
If you are going big, go big. If you want square, don't convert a school bus.
It would look really weird anyway.
scootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
i trhink he is going for 7' cleasrance total.. which if you go for that clearance along the sides is likely an 18" raise in a taller-window bus like a thomas?

it really does sound though like a coach might suit you better... or even a transit sty;e bus roof-raised.. for the square look..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:25 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Unless it's one piece, I'd reconsider a flat roof if you're concerned about leaks. Water pools on flat surfaces. Ask owners of older RVs, >10 years old, how they like their flat roofs.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
Why not raise the roof, leave the original curved exterior roof, and frame it out inside so that you have a flat ceiling?
Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you all for your suggestions.

After putting a more natural curve on countertops and aisle I'm beginning to think a curved ceiling may fit the look of the interior better than flat. I was most concerned on how a flat deck looked on the curved exterior but have an idea that should make it look nicer. A fascia from the deck that allows roof drainage and ventilation. The deck will be sectional so i can easily hinge it up for roof mantance/ access.

I'm still playing with ideas for the deck and thinking on having sides that fold flat for relocating the bus and open at about 45 degrees overhanging the sides of the bus for safety and privacy. I'll post pics when i get the model looking a little less embarrassing..

I'm also trying to keep the height as low as possible especially after watching the 11'-8" video... LoL
Old 07-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootie View Post
Roof won't leak if you seal it correctly. Atleast not for the first ten years. Having Deck is worth it.
Why raise the roof only 7"?
If you are going big, go big. If you want square, don't convert a school bus.
It would look really weird anyway.
I think the reason i building a bus is to have a mobile roof deck... LOL

As for big you should watch the 11'-8" video...
Old 07-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Is it not recommended to have say 2" pipe/tubing welded or bolted from the floor or frame to the roof structure. I'd like to have a few of these off center line of aisle but concerned with the bus flexing and popping roof rivets.

The use is for room separation/ wall support and hammock anchor points both interior and above roof deck, that portion will be removable or foldable.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Talking

That video is great!! I will have to remember never to go through there. My bus is right at 10' now and planing on a 22" roof raise.
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdesigns View Post
Is it not recommended to have say 2" pipe/tubing welded or bolted from the floor or frame to the roof structure. I'd like to have a few of these off center line of aisle but concerned with the bus flexing and popping roof rivets.

The use is for room separation/ wall support and hammock anchor points both interior and above roof deck, that portion will be removable or foldable.
Look up aaronsbb build. He's using square steel tubing to frame the walls and build pretty much everything in his bus. He also did an awesome roof raise.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:54 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Look up aaronsbb build. He's using square steel tubing to frame the walls and build pretty much everything in his bus. He also did an awesome roof raise.
The only thin the comes up using 'aaronsbb' is this post and another you mentioned the same name in... I'm guessing you have the wrong name.

just post a link...
Old 07-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdesigns View Post
The only thin the comes up using 'aaronsbb' is this post and another you mentioned the same name in... I'm guessing you have the wrong name.

just post a link...
My bad, it's aaronsb. Here's the link.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...-bus-9394.html
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote