Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 66
Custom shower pans?

Hey alls..

Been tossing ideas around about building a custom shower/toilet combo pan.

After doing some digging, I found that you can get stainless replacement dog kennel trays in all sorts of sizes that might work really well... and are relatively cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Syst...es&sr=1-1&th=1

Thoughts on using something like this? You'd need to run the wall liner down inside the tray and seal it up... could even raise a portion of the tray and taper the bottom a bit easily enough when you install the drain.

Anyways.. open to other ideas. Not really wanting to spend $400+ on a shower/toilet combo pan.

Mr4btTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Hey alls..

Been tossing ideas around about building a custom shower/toilet combo pan.

After doing some digging, I found that you can get stainless replacement dog kennel trays in all sorts of sizes that might work really well... and are relatively cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Syst...es&sr=1-1&th=1

Thoughts on using something like this? You'd need to run the wall liner down inside the tray and seal it up... could even raise a portion of the tray and taper the bottom a bit easily enough when you install the drain.

Anyways.. open to other ideas. Not really wanting to spend $400+ on a shower/toilet combo pan.
I just got a residential pan. I might need to build up the fiberglass or add wood under the toilet, but it won’t be a thing. I got the closest size I could find to making it between windows. I’ll have a 4” deep shelf inside to get the wall between windows.
Attached Thumbnails
7ADC098D-1A3D-4DA5-84B9-64B89BB20F7C.jpg  
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 466DT
I've been tossing this issue around in my head as well. Good grief, shower pans are expensive! (I don't remember paying this much for one when I built my "real" house.) . Even the drain assembly is like $80!

Been toying with the idea of a building a mortar pan but worry a bit that it will crack over time.

A pastic horse trough from Tractor Supply is $80. Maybe you could cut the sides off that.
ted@campbycanoe.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted@campbycanoe.com View Post
A pastic horse trough from Tractor Supply is $80. Maybe you could cut the sides off that.
That kind of thinking outside the box helps us heaps. We had to abandon our plans to install an RV tub because it was just a tad too big. We found a plastic utility sink on sale at the hardware store, trimmed it out in aromatic cedar, and it works brilliantly....looks a little like a spa tub. Sometimes you need to repurpose unusual items when skoolie building.