Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Deadbolt on front door?

Lorna, it is so sad to hear that those bad thieving people would shoot someone's dogs. Fortunately that has never happened to me. Also, I now live in a very rural place where there is always somebody home on the property who are very well prepared to deter any strangers from entering. BANG BANG!

My dogs are VERY much watch dogs. The only way some evil person is to be able to enter my place is to indeed shoot them. That bad person would have to be quick and a good shooter because both of my dogs would be on him like flies on ....

Old 03-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
Almost There

Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester

After we moved into our current place a meth dealer moved just down the road from us. Lets just say that it hasn't been a good couple of years. We had a lot of stuff "grow legs." Didn't matter if it was under key or not. Three things have stopped almost all of the thieving. One, my mutt tore a hole in some burglar and I was very willing to tell all the neighbors how he earned his t-bone steak. Two, I'm not afraid to let it be spread around that I have guns that I have drawn on people trying to "liberate" my stuff. Third I put up a sign that can be read on the street that says,

"This place has lots of cameras. Some are well hidden. I hope you can find them all before your next snapshot is a mugshot."
RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

I always liked this sign.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
Almost There

Year: 1977
Chassis: International Harvester

I really like that sign. But I am so afraid anymore that I may have to really defend myself on my own property anymore, and that a sign like that would give some lawyer an excuse to say that I was hoping to do it.
RavensOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
. In NC/GA anyone can sell a used gun to anyone else. No permits, no background checks, no registrations. So if you need to buy an unlicensed/non-registered gun.....
It has been pointed out that someone may take part of my post the wrong way. I was not advocating you go buy a gun (licensed or otherwise). I was pointing out that if you know where to go, it is very easy to buy/sell a gun without the normally required paperwork, background checks, etc. It's a cultural thing. In some parts of the South, owning a registered gun is unusual. My Dad had a fair amount of hunting rifles. None of which were registered nor had been registered thru several owners, including the rifle he bought from a FL sheriff. Only his pistol was ever registered. And that one was because my idiot sister (the "good one" according to my mom) stole his unregistered 45. He had only taken part of his guns with him to NC and left the rest in FL. I took the rifles and the shotgun home so that she couldn't steal them... I didn't know he forgot his pistol since he never made a trip between FL & NC without it... she found it. So he registered his replacement pistol, based on advice from his sheriff friend (something about liability if used in the commission of a crime). In many places in the South, rifles are like cash, you can buy things with them simply by "trading". And guns can trade ownership quite often. Some folks change guns (mostly hunting rifles & shotguns) almost as often as they change their socks. It's a culture I grew up with and it still exists in a great deal of the rural South. My apologies to any PC, city folks, Yankees, etc I may have insulted.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24

lornaschinske is correct; been there as well.
I like the sign; BUT from what I have seen happen to others who had similar warnings posted.
When an incident did occur; DA or the POS estate if they didn't survive will use that sign against you.
They will state to the effect you are looking to kill some one. I had a friend go through a similar thing because they reloaded their ammo instead of buying it due to cost. They reloaded to factory specs. but the POS Lawyer for the POS that broke into their house made statements to the jury they decide to make "killer" bullets instead of buying factory bullets???
HuH? Bullets do one thing and one thing only; make holes in things..
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
I'm coming in late to this thread, but think it's important to keep information consistent for folks searching for specific subjects...

I'm happy to report that a deadbolt will work as a door lock on a bi-fold door.

It may take some struggling to get it to work, but the end results are well worth the fight.

TygerCub,
Can you tell me more about that lock? Where did you find it? Can it be locked from the outside, like a normal deadbolt? Thanks.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

It's a deadbolt from Lowes. Home Depot or Ace Hardware also have it. I didn't keep the package so can't remember the name brand, but this one is the more expensive variety. I tried the $20 kind but it was too cheaply made and crapped out every time I tried to make it work.

Just like with a regular door, this has a key face on the outside of the door. It was a PITA to cut the hole through the metal door, but it works great.

I considered installing a "cam" lock like this one...

...to help pull the door tight so it can't be pushed inward at all. Don't know if it will work any better than the current lock.

I've also considered installing a garage door lock in the middle of the door so that the long bar slides into a slot at the top and bottom of the door to keep it from being pushed inward at all.

First, however, I have a whole lot of work to do in the next 3 weeks. So until I have a free moment, I'll just be happy with what I have.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Thanks TygerCub. Neither HD nor Ace had them in my small town but I was able to find one online. They call them a "jimmy proof" deadbolt. Thanks again.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #30

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevrolet

Thank goodness for this post on how to secure the rear door...it's exactly what I needed. Here's my problem with the front door, though (and this is going to betray my total newbie status): The front door is a bifold, operated by the internal "bus handle." My issue is, if I am inside, and the handle is thrown - great. The door is locked tight. But to close the bifold door behind me, I have to have it mostly closed and then "slam" it from the outside. And then, there is no way to get back inside and I have to go through the rear door. How in the heck do I get around that, short of disabling the "bus handle?" I have been pondering this for months and I'm stuck. I don't really want to replace the bus door, but I will have to if I can figure this out.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Buy a chepo linear actuator (ebay) and set it up to bump the handle open when you turn the key in a keyed switch mounted on the side of your bus. If you just want to go getto. tie a rope around the handle, feed it over a pulley, extend it through a hole in the bus floor---pull to open
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:35 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceAlmighty
...I don't really want to replace the bus door, but I will have to if I can figure this out...
Building an Original Bluebird Two Piece Door into a One Piece Door

We have since replaced the round knob handle with a lever handle. It is much easier to open the door, in the winter, with an armload of groceries, with a lever rather than the knob. We also replaced the overly stiff and thick weather stripping we had originally used. It prevented the door from latching shut correctly. We replaced the weatherstripping with a softer "mushier" weatherstripping and the door latches correctly.

Kwikset Delta Satin Chrome Entry Lever Model # 405DL 26D CP Store SKU # 632905

We still need to skin the interior side of the door with PVC "wood" and make plexiglass panels to cover the single pane glass in the door. What this will do is create a thermal break and give us dual pane insulated glass. We get a lot of cold air off the steel & glass door in the wintertime. We will also add an accordian door for privacy. We have been using one on the bathroom and like it. Easy install and cut down.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote