Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Decent headlights??

what do you guys that drive your bus alot at might do for decently Bright headlights?

I have a 1991 international that has plain old square and CRAPPY lights...

since it doesnt have projector housings (or any housing).. going to HID's with a simple kit isnt easy..

are LED lights like trucklite any good?

is it legal to put an LED bar across the bottom of the bumper or does that just Spew light into oncoming traffic blinding them?

I could put LED or HID fogs on or under the bumper as supplemental maybe?

share your solutions for lights!.

-Christopher

cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Same lights here. I got surprisingly good results by carefully adjusting the existing lamps. Sure I don't do much night driving but I can live with these. (Pun intended)
Old 04-27-2016, 10:22 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
is it legal to put an LED bar across the bottom of the bumper or does that just Spew light into oncoming traffic blinding them?
Legal or not, those LED bars spew something horrible. I won't detail the things I'm tempted to do when I see some yahoo with one of those bolted to the brush bar on his pickup truck glaring for all the world to see. They're fantastic for off-road I have no doubt, but they really have no business being on the highway.

Does yours have the quad 4x6 inch sealed-beam setup? Mine does. Can't find the thread about it right now since the site search is busted, but anyway.. I noticed that my low beams were just 35 watts each, whereas most low beams are stronger. I discovered there's a 55 watt version of the lamp made in the same form factor, same low-beam angle on the lens, but with a slightly different connector. If I'm recalling the numbers correctly my bus had H4656 and I replaced them with H4666. The connector is slightly different on the lamp but I sorted it out with some pliers.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Legal or not, those LED bars spew something horrible. I won't detail the things I'm tempted to do when I see some yahoo with one of those bolted to the brush bar on his pickup truck glaring for all the world to see. They're fantastic for off-road I have no doubt, but they really have no business being on the highway.

Does yours have the quad 4x6 inch sealed-beam setup? Mine does. Can't find the thread about it right now since the site search is busted, but anyway.. I noticed that my low beams were just 35 watts each, whereas most low beams are stronger. I discovered there's a 55 watt version of the lamp made in the same form factor, same low-beam angle on the lens, but with a slightly different connector. If I'm recalling the numbers correctly my bus had H4656 and I replaced them with H4666. The connector is slightly different on the lamp but I sorted it out with some pliers.
I just have the 2 sealed beams.. the recommended bulb is a H5054... 42/65 watts...

I do think those light bars are legal only for off-road use.. im not interested in spewing light all over...
-Christopher
Old 04-27-2016, 10:52 PM   #5

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
zI would go old school with something like Cibie. I had some on my Malibu with 55w low and 100w high.

I don't know this company but look at the pretty pictures.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
I picked up a pair of these:

Truck-lite 27270C 7" round LED headlights. DOT rated. Some of the big rigs are using them now. Search for videos online that show the difference between regular halogens and these. They aren't cheap by any means, but may be the last headlights you'll need to ever get.

Good on power consumption too:

1.8a low beam, 3.6 amp high beam @ 12.8 v
Old 05-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
LED's are definitely the way to go these days. I am installing the same units in my '46 since they were clever enough to design them as replacements for the old style 7" roundies.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
go get 2 replacement sealed beams with halogen bulbs in them, the next thing you do is get your volt meter and test the voltage to the headlight at the bulb socket to see if you are getting battery voltage, you would be surprised how much resistance a few corroded connectors can have which will drop the voltage and reduce light output
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
Bus Geek

I had trucklites in my last Jeep Wrangler and they were fantastic other than the &$&^%& computer controlled Jeep caused me flicker issues until I created a dummy load.. I hadnt looked at them to see if they make a square one or not.. though a guy with a garage door replacement company has an OLD 70s toyota pickup with square lights and LED's i'll have to ask what he is using..

-Christopher