Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ford
Engine: 6.6 Ford
Rated Cap: 3
Re: Detroit 8.2T Turbo Diesel Blue Bird School Bus

But straight pipe sure sounds koool. At least until you're on a long road trip, then it gets annoying.

nevrenufhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: Blue Bird School
Engine: Detroit 8.2T Turbo Diesel

ok so i am getting mixed messages, straight out the rear or right up front? either way i way the black smoke a flyin'! and whats loudest and sounds best. alsowho would you recommend company wise for stacks and exhaust systems manufac. that provide ni muffler? what about alternators, figuring we will be addint music to this trolley we want reliabilty to an extent and we were think one short cycle batt and two deep cycle batts?

thank you very much for your time.

kl
SKIBUSENTRPNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Unless you want to pay big bucks you should be looking at a salvage yard for stacks. I'm not sure how you're going to fit them though. I know I would have some serious tire to stack clearance issues.

In terms of loud...well...without a muffler is as loud as it's going to get, but I caution you. Just like was posted above, it's cool sometimes, but it can get really annoying. Ever been around a small block with a gear drive? Yeah, they're cheap and they sound like a supercharger, but after 10 miles at cruise RPM's it gets to be a bit annoying.

You can route the exhaust out anywhere you want. Don't do something foolish and route it right under a window that will be open a lot, and understand that my bus, for instance, tends to suck air from the rear and blow it out the front as I'm going down the road. It's just the aerodynamics of it all. Factory exhaust systems often route out the side, about midship, on buses around here.

So...what do you want to know about alternators? Your bus probably has a giant already. Most have a 130 amp or larger. These large case GM SI's, Prestolites, Leece-Neville, etc units can run at their rated output all day long as opposed to modern automotive alternators. Sure, a GM CS alternator might be rated at 105 amps, but I dare you to ask one to do that for even an hour straight.

You can add another alternator (check out lapeer20m's most recent jacuzzi bus). You can upgrade the one you have to a larger one. Heck, you might even be able to up the output of your current model simply by changing out the stator windings. You can minimize losses through better wiring. Heck, there is a lot you can do with the charging system. Get a little more specific with what your requirements are and what you are currently set up with and I'd be happy to help you out on that front.

As far as batteries go...well...there is A LOT to it, but mostly we need to know about what your demands are going to be and how often you will be away from a shorepower tether. Steve has enough battery power in his bus to light Las Vegas for a day. I have far less capacity, but I have the ability to charge my batteries with the engine off via my mowernator. Some people run solar or wind power. Others run a genset to keep them happy. If you're just using the bus for runs to and from the ski mountain then a pair of golf cart batteries should be more than adequate for your needs. If you plan to ferry people there, provide the party all day, and then drive back then you will need a different arrangement.

Being that you're in cold weather I can't help but recommend you get an 8D battery as the starting battery. Yep, they're huge. Or you might be ok with a two or three Group 31's in parallel. You probably don't want to do as I do and use a single Group 24 as your starter given your proposed climate.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Wow, thanks for the reply. in terms of stacks im getting them used and would have them fitted for up from and i have no gorund power...ever. underway we would be powering music and lights. ill work then on the batteries etc and powering everything but id really like to add train horns and stacks out the top and subs etc everything fun for a ski bus.

thank oyu very much for your ime all of you

kl
Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #25
Bus Nut

its just like at Burger King, do it your way, just because I wouldn't want to listen to the noise from stacks on a long ride doesn't make it wrong or illegal, black smoke is unburnd fuel and doesn't make a favorable impression on most people, JMO, try a flame thrower like Jason had on his Jacuzzi bus for cool points.
You should be able to run a few rope lights and a decent sound system off of your alternater and bus batteries.
enjoy
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Perfect thats exaclty what i want to do. black smoke is necessary and i wouldnt mind the noise because this is a show boat more than a cruiser. the mountain isnt far away at all so the noise will be fine. what about replacing the injevtor pumps etc? thank you very much for your time.

kl
Old 10-06-2008, 12:38 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

ok jason if your reading this...where did you get your flame thrower? how much? propane burn? where is it mounted? is it possible to get the flames to come out of the stacks?

thank you for your time anyone who knows about flame throwers!

kl
Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

You don't want to replace the injector pump. I promise you that much. You can, however, turn up your fueling rates.

http://www.geocities.com/kaufmanns@sbcg ... mance.html
Old 10-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

great thanks the site proved helpful. i saw the pump part another post and it made me curious is all. the black smoke is no problem. what about stacks? can they go right in front of the windshield on either side? can i run biodeisel in the winter? whats the benfits of it? how many miles per gallon should it add? does anyone know how many miles the 1985 GMC Detroit 8.2L Turbo Diesel Blue Bird bus is getting as it is?

thank you for your time.

kl
Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIBUSENTRPNR
great thanks the site proved helpful. i saw the pump part another post and it made me curious is all. the black smoke is no problem. what about stacks? can they go right in front of the windshield on either side? can i run biodeisel in the winter? whats the benfits of it? how many miles per gallon should it add? does anyone know how many miles the 1985 GMC Detroit 8.2L Turbo Diesel Blue Bird bus is getting as it is?

thank you for your time.

kl
Ok, I'll try here.

I don't know if the stacks can go up right in front there. From a legal standpoint I don't see an issue, but like I posted before...in the case of my bus the front fenders touch the front of the body. If I turned my wheels I would CRUSH a set of stacks. There is plenty going on up there in terms of steering linkage, the torque converter cover (bellhousing), etc. Only you will be able to determine if there is room.

In theory you can run biodiesel in the winter. However, the gelling point is far lower than that of dino diesel. This could be a big problem. Gelled fuel will wreck your day. But then again, maybe you can get away with it. Talk to some people in your area like say the local bus barn. They will be able to tell you.

The benefits of biodiesel? Well...it is more environmentally friendly than dino diesel. It is also a nearly entirely domestic product which helps our economy. It is thought that biodiesel is a better lubricant for the fuel system which may result in a longer life of the engine. The downside? Biodiesel GENERALLY costs more than regular fuel. As I stated before, it has a lower gelling point. I have heard both ways on the mileage (going up and going down) but the majority of people I've heard have said that power is down slightly, as is mileage. Biodiesel certainly should not be looked upon as a cost saving measure unless you are talking about stright veggie oil (an entirely different fuel) or you can get in on a co-op.

The mileage of buses varies greatly and there are a tremendous number of variables. The 8.2 Detroit was known as the "fuel pincher" which is to your benefit. They're supposed to get pretty decent mileage. Somewhere around here there is a thread about mileage and most people have posted up their specifics. I think it would be fair for you to estimate that you will get 10 miles per gallon, but that is not set in stone. Like I said...many factors play into that number and I have no idea what you have going on specifically. You're also talking about driving a bus up a mountain...
Old 10-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Great thanks! on the stacks that make sense about the tires and their movement. maybe right in front of the hood right behond either headlight there seemed to be room but ill ask my mechanic. ok ill stick with normal diesel then. and that sounds decent on the mileage but we will see what it really will be. hank you for your time.

kl