Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #1

Deutz diesel in School bus

Hi, has anyone ever put a Deutz diesel engine into a school bus?
I have seen a 21' East German Robur bus, converted to a Mobile Home, that had a Deutz diesel engine put into. These tractor motors are really reliable and, very important, pretty gas efficient. This guy got 18-20 mpg, fully loaded. It is slow, but strong. After some research, I found out that the gas mileage is possible with that engine.
Now, has anyone experience with something like that?
I don't have a bus right now, but the plan is to tour around the world with one. And 8-10mpg is too low. I can't afford that.

wurzelsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: Deutz diesel in School bus

I don't think you would find any East German bus being used as a school bus in the U.S. I did see a box van once that had an air-cooled Deutz 4 or 5 cylinder in it.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Bus Nut

The Deutz engines are good engines, but I would question parts avaliability worldwide.
I think that it would be hard to beat an isuzu for parts and reliability
remember that the single most important factor in fuel mileage is speed and or wind resistance, the faster you go the more wind you have to move and that takes lots of power (insert fuel here).
your post references slow speed, to me that indicates a relatively low powered package or a powerplant that is limited in speed to limit wind resistance and fuel consumption, if you have limited power or lots of power and only use limited amounts of power the result is still going to b relatively good fuel mileage
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #4

Hi,
that particular bus (Robur), never was a school bus here in the US.
I was just curious, why that one (21feet long) with an air cooled Deutz diesel engine got 18-20mpg, and a school bus gets about half of that.
Of course the bus is not fast. 55 mph is maximum.
If you drive very careful with a school bus, do you get that gas mileage?
THanks
wurzelsurf is offline   Reply With Quote