Old 01-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3300
Engine: T-444E
Diesel fuel gone bad?

I've let my bus sit for a few months while I work on the conversion. It's a International 3300 with a T444E engine. I start it up every Sunday to keep the batteries fresh, etc.

This weekend when it started it didn't run smoothly. It was doing a "chug chug chug" thing. Running it for a while did not help. I think maybe the fuel has degraded? Last time I put new fuel in it was maybe 6 months ago, and there had been a couple of gallons of ~6 month old fuel in it at the time which the new fuel mixed with.

Am I wrong in thinking that's the problem? Should I just add some stabilizer and see if it improves? Should I drive it until I burn up the fuel that's in it and add fresh fuel? Or add fresh fuel to what is there already? Or siphon it out and fill it with fresh fuel?
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I would start with seeing if there is water in the fuel water separator and adding an engine treatment/anti gel to it. Something like a HOWES brand.
But with the up and down weather the carolinas have been having and you not having a completely full tank I would say that you have water/moisture in the fuel.
Good luc
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Sounds like moisture in the fuel. Maybe add some winter grade diesel first and if it goes add some fuel conditioner. Follow directions on conditioner as too much is bad too. Burn that old fuel off and get new winter grade and fill it to avoid condensation in the tank.
How long do you run it on Sundays? Not sure if that is the best practice if not driving it and getting up to operating temp range. That warms your fuel up and helps disperse moisture in it as it circulates back to the tank and then back to the engine.
Short cold starts will do more harm than good to many parts of your engine, batteries, starter so hope you get it running and give it a good Sunday drive for at least an hour.

John
Old 01-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
I've let my bus sit for a few months while I work on the conversion. It's a International 3300 with a T444E engine. I start it up every Sunday to keep the batteries fresh, etc.

This weekend when it started it didn't run smoothly. It was doing a "chug chug chug" thing. Running it for a while did not help. I think maybe the fuel has degraded? Last time I put new fuel in it was maybe 6 months ago, and there had been a couple of gallons of ~6 month old fuel in it at the time which the new fuel mixed with.

Am I wrong in thinking that's the problem? Should I just add some stabilizer and see if it improves? Should I drive it until I burn up the fuel that's in it and add fresh fuel? Or add fresh fuel to what is there already? Or siphon it out and fill it with fresh fuel?
Diesel doesn't degrade...check your water separator...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Sounds like moisture in the fuel. Maybe add some winter grade diesel first and if it goes add some fuel conditioner. Follow directions on conditioner as too much is bad too. Burn that old fuel off and get new winter grade and fill it to avoid condensation in the tank.
How long do you run it on Sundays? Not sure if that is the best practice if not driving it and getting up to operating temp range. That warms your fuel up and helps disperse moisture in it as it circulates back to the tank and then back to the engine.
Short cold starts will do more harm than good to many parts of your engine, batteries, starter so hope you get it running and give it a good Sunday drive for at least an hour.

John
Oh dear. I only run it for about 10 minutes each Sunday! I guess I need to start driving it around instead.

I'll give what you suggested a shot and see if it improves. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
I would start with seeing if there is water in the fuel water separator and adding an engine treatment/anti gel to it. Something like a HOWES brand.
But with the up and down weather the carolinas have been having and you not having a completely full tank I would say that you have water/moisture in the fuel.
Good luc
I'm having trouble finding info about the water separator online. Where on the engine would it be?

Looks something like an oil filter?
Old 01-24-2018, 04:59 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Kind of?
You will have to trace your fuel line to the pump and or pump to motor to find it.
There are several different designs and I don't know what international or Amtran chose to fit in there design.
It should look like a form of a filter but have a drain plug on the bottom to blow the water fuel mix down towards the ground ,frame ,axle, down your arm to your armpit type drain.
Hope they made it fairly easy to get to?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #8

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: DT-466
If the t444 has the same fuel bowl as the ford f350 with the 7.3, then the water separator is integrated into the fuel bowl on the top of the engine in the valley. There's a valve on the front of the bowl that you turn to the left, which will empty the bowl and any water in it. May be a good idea to check the fuel filter at the same time and change if needed.

- Pat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Mustng78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:50 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
My Cummins has it as part of the fuel filter system (2 units...a filter plus a "water/fuel separator"). Just a little twist drain on the bottom. It looks just like a radiator drain.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
I'm having trouble finding info about the water separator online. Where on the engine would it be?

Looks something like an oil filter?

I assumed you knew somethings about your bus engine and operation.

This is why you have to be accurate in explaining because now you say you don't know where or what a fuel separator is.
Others know your engine better than I who thought you knew yours so good luck getting it going. I'm out.

John