Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Marc,

I looked back over the thread and I think you may have misunderstood.

Gasbuddy is not a card or club. It is a website that crowd sources fuel prices. We all report the fuel price and location when we fuel. Gas buddy shares that via an app or their website.

They even have a trip planner that will, given your specs, suggest fuel stops based on fuel prices and your range.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Marc,

I looked back over the thread and I think you may have misunderstood.

Gasbuddy is not a card or club. It is a website that crowd sources fuel prices. We all report the fuel price and location when we fuel. Gas buddy shares that via an app or their website.

They even have a trip planner that will, given your specs, suggest fuel stops based on fuel prices and your range.
Thought we were talking about the TDL card, at least I was.

I tried to turn my sister on to this as she drives an F-250 diesel for a living pulling horses. She is so paranoid her first comment was about giving them your SS#, so it must be a scam. She is so paranoid she keeps the camera on her laptop covered with tape so Big Brother doesn't see her getting high. , in Calif.
Not everything that seems too good to be true is, if due diligence is used. You can't buy dollar bills for $.50, But you don't have to pay $3 when you can pay $2 for $1 worth of fuel.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

I tried to turn my sister on to this as she drives an F-250 diesel for a living pulling horses. She is so paranoid her first comment was about giving them your SS#, so it must be a scam. She is so paranoid she keeps the camera on her laptop covered with tape so Big Brother doesn't see her getting high. , in Calif.
Not everything that seems too good to be true is, if due diligence is used. You can't buy dollar bills for $.50, But you don't have to pay $3 when you can pay $2 for $1 worth of fuel.
No worries. I don't think that the TDL card was mentioned. We were discussing finding the lowest fuel prices.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
No worries. I don't think that the TDL card was mentioned. We were discussing finding the lowest fuel prices.
Go back and read post #1.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:

Are you saying you also have and use the TDL card?
(and your sister's not wrong about her laptop...)
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Are you saying you also have and use the TDL card?
(and your sister's not wrong about her laptop...)
I filled out the TDL app. Waiting for the call. Big Brother doesn't care about me or my sister. They are more apt to watch her on her cell.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:18 PM   #27
Bus Geek

After searching some reviews it seems the stations the card is good at are usually the more expensive stations and the savings brings it down to the low price in the area at other stations. It would only benefit me on long trips.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:37 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
After searching some reviews it seems the stations the card is good at are usually the more expensive stations and the savings brings it down to the low price in the area at other stations. It would only benefit me on long trips.
Thanks for checking this out --
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinekid View Post
I saw that but I got worried because they demand direct access to your personal checking and/or saving accounts. You have no fraud protection. If you lose the card and don't realize it, you will be liable for whatever fuel the crooks use that card for.
Their website does not describe any kind of two factor authorization or give any hint about how to prevent fraudulent use.
It sounds good but I need to know more about the fraud protections. I'm sure the corp has themselves well protected, read the 4 page contract, but what protection do we have.

Plus with the direct access, you can not tell the bank to stop give them your money. There is no way to prevent them from taking your money, you have to ask the corp to stop and they get to decide if and when they want to stop.The current management team might be honest, but how about the next team that buys the corp. What will they do?

I know that this fear is mostly driven by the current moral vacuum in DC but I'm worried and need to understand what security I have in these situations.
A safe method of making savings and paying for fuel (diesel or gas) is using GasBuddy. The application after loading the app onto your phone and then signing up for their gas card will save at time of purchase something like $0.15/gallon. Their card with PIN is linked to your credit/debit card. Additionally, if you shop online at a number of different places online, you will either get cash-back as a percentage or amount of your purchase as a credit for use at the pump. Lyft currently offers $0.25 cash-back per trip.
The maximum discount at the pump is for the first $75 pumped at the pump price, but it all adds up as savings.
WSallai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

I don't yet have a skoolie but I use an app called GasBuddy to locate fuel prices near me wherever I am. It works for all fuel types. I then use my costco credit card and earn 4% back on all fuel purchases unless I am buying gas at a grocery store that has gas pumps (like Kroger here in TX) as they can't tel if it's groceries or gas.

Also, if my card gets compromised at a gas pump (most likely place to have a card compromised) I have protection through my credit card company. This actually happened on my last trip. My husband was also traveling but separate from me. Thankfully our cards, though on the same account, have different numbers, so they were able to cancel my card, replace it and he was still able to use his card.
BetterWayLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:25 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
There seems to be a misconception that gas stations make a lot of profit from gas. While I agree profit is being made, 99% of the time it is the Big Oil companies making it while the mom-and-pop gas stations make virtually nothing on gas. I had a friend who owned/ran a gas station and he showed me his cost (like 2 cents under the posted price) and by the time he pays for power and pump maintenance (diesel pumps need fresh filters occasionally), he breaks even or even loses money selling fuel. He also explained that most of these discount programs work on a corporate level (which is why many independent mom-and-pop places aren't in them), the discount being credited to the gas station at some point (so they don't lose money).

So why do they do it? Selling gas is a way they "get you in the door" so that you'll (hopefully) buy the high profit items like smokes, drinks, and snacks.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, diesel, discounts, fuel, gas buddy