Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
DIY Double Pane Windows?

Hi.

I have a 1987 Carpenter with windows that slide up and down, which I hate. Seriously considering re-purposing most of them by disassembling the frame on the sliding frame and creating a double pane situation. Will wind up with non-opening windows that are half the original size, which is fine for me. Will fill in the resulting gap with bodywork on the outside and insulation on the inside.

I have numerous ideas how to make it work and many windows to get it right, but just curious if anyone has tried this as well as any pitfalls to be aware of.

Thanks.

longhaired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:07 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
A job like that sounds like something that will need a lot of beer after ;)

What will you make the new frame out of? A cut down version of the original? You'll want to make sure it is as close to airtight as you can get. That's almost the worst part of the original windows is how much air they leak. Double panes do double the r value from a whopping 1 to 2, but in day to day living I most noticed the drafty air leakage the stock windows have. ymmv

Are you sure you're cool with non-opening windows all around? That would bum me out.

It would be easier imo to just double up the whole window assembly. Then you could still open it and it would take a lot less fabrication. Not sure what your skill level is so that also is a factor. You could be a metal fab god for all I know, in which case, rock out.

You can pickup new double pane rv windows for a reasonable price on ebay if you decide to do something else.

At least you got nothing to loose!

Good luck, post some pics!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote