Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeranyi View Post
Warewolf, I appreciate your comment but I was looking for opinions and not sarcasm. Maybe you are a handy person, but I'm not. And as far as considering whether or not pulling up the floor is too much, I have no idea what that entails because like I said, I'm not a handy person so I'm here on this site to learn and do as much as I can for the adventure of putting together a bus conversion. Maybe when this is all done, I'll feel empowered to tackle more projects like this. It's clear that you believe I should pull up the floors so thank you, I'll take that into consideration.
Demo work isn't fun. But it isn't hard.

YOu want it to be really nice? Bust out that old nasty floor, put down some insulation and then put some marine ply over that. That's what I'm doing.

Sorta your choice. We can't tell you what's best for you. Just what's BEST.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Huh?
Engine: T444E
Alright, floor coming up it is. I'll check with my husband to see what tools we have to be able to do that. Maybe I can get my kids involved too. Then they can claim they helped to convert a bus.
heeranyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeranyi View Post
Alright, floor coming up it is. I'll check with my husband to see what tools we have to be able to do that. Maybe I can get my kids involved too. Then they can claim they helped to convert a bus.
Is it rubber flooring over steel, or is there plywood?
Old 05-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Huh?
I'm not sure, we drove it back from Austin to Omaha and I took it directly to the International dealership to get it checked out and serviced. Plus, I don't have a place to park it until I sell my Class C. I live in the suburbs so I'll be parking my 6 window midbus in my driveway and we will convert it there. Hopefully none of my neighbors calls the association on us. It's already so adventuresome.
heeranyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
The comment was not meant to be sarcastic. Crass maybe, but there are a lot of folks that get way over their head in these projects and we all have seen too many of these buses up for sale months or a few short years later because they found themselves in a hole they couldn't dig out of.

These conversions are a huge undertaking and pulling up the floor doesn't have anything to do with handy. It's just hours of grueling work, depending what the shape of your plywood looks like. Realistically if that is too much of an undertaking you'd be better off buying a used 5th wheel and towing that around. You can find them used on Craigslist, much of the time already furnished, for significantly less. Skoolies are fun but are work. It's unpopular to say on a skoolie forum but if you're just needing a place to cool off at games, do homework, et cetera it might be a better option. I'm sure some others will chime in.

As I said previously if you don't do it you will have the characteristic rubbery "bus smell" that, personally, makes me nauseous in the heat. Also think of all the crap those kids smushed into the corners and made it's way under the rubber. Best of luck either way and keep us updated on the build.

PS -- on rubber over steel vs plywood -- mine was rubber over steel and still took me days because the rubber was actually in good condition. It took forever to peel off, piece by piece. Then it took days to polish the steel underneath and get all the gunk off so I could rust proof it. And this is coming from someone who knows what hard work is. Sorry if I offended you. It was not my intent.

And almost forget, where are my manners. Congratulations on your recent purchase. Handy or not there is a wealth of knowledge here and Youtube is your best friend.