Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas
Does anyone have a leveling system ?

Just thinking down the road a bit about a leveling system. I could just use 2x12 blocks. Or a small jack between the axle and frame?

Old 08-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Does anyone have a leveling system ?

I don't have one, but I have been giving it a lot of thought.

On my daily commute, I drive past an old bucket truck for sale. The bucket truck has stabilizer legs, and every time I see them I think "hmm, wonder if such a system would work on my bus".

I know there are pre-canned systems out there for the big time RVs. I know some use hydraulics and some use air. Seems to me retrofitting an air leveling system into my non-air suspension bus will just be a big exercise in disappointment. Implementing something with hydraulics though... that just might be achievable.

I'll be interested in seeing if anyone has installed a leveling system of any kind in their bus.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I have one hydraulic jack that was given to me, but after looking at the expense of buying at least 2 more for a tripod system, plus the pump & tank assembly, plus the valve control system, plus the onboard human interface device, plus the plumbing and the hyrdraulic fluid, you're looking at well over a $1,000 or so. And if it ever leaks you'll have to deal with that too.

I have been watching ebay over the last year or so hoping to run across the electric leveling jacks that Fleetwood is now using. I found a pair of them about 7-8 months ago but didn't have any money to bid on them at that particular time, they wound up going for around $120 for the pair of them. The electric ones are just shorter versions of the more popular trailer tongue jacks, with mounting brackets built onto them. Would be easy enough to use these, I would only have install a series of switches and deal with leveling it myself (instead of using a computer leveling controller).

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

I'm cheap - no leveling jacks. I just use various plywood scraps, and like Smitty said, just place them in front of whatever wheel needs to be higher, then pull it up onto it. I can be a pain, but with time it gets quicker. And here's another redneck touch. My dash is metal, so I keep a 4' magnetic level in place so I can easily see how my bus sits side-to-side. Front-to-back leveling isn't as important to me.

-Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote