Old 09-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Dog-Nose? Flat-Nose? Conventional? Pusher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Pros to conventional
looks like a school bus ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
I like that school-bus look. Some folks hate it.
As do I... Guess it's because I grew up with conventional dog-nose gassers ... Loved the look of my old '89 Ford B-series... Too bad I had to get rid of her. Found out it had a brand-new 429 Jasper engine with probably <10k on it. Probably for the better though... It had the crappy Lucas-Girling brakes...

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 BlueBird 64 passenger (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)

Check out my original music page ("Allergic To Air" on Facebook) and YouTube channel (AllergicToAirMusic)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Bus Nut

That's sucks about your bus having to be gotten rid of. That would be a nice motor to put in a lot of things if your a Ford guy? Things happen for a reason....do as you did move on to better things.

Pics of my conversion @ photobucket http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../School%20Bus/
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, kinda thinking about a flat-nose, pusher or not. I really dig the old dog-nose gassers but I suspect that being hard to find will be the least of my problems at this point, and I kinda like the better maneuverability of having the steering axle under/behind you...

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 BlueBird 64 passenger (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)

Check out my original music page ("Allergic To Air" on Facebook) and YouTube channel (AllergicToAirMusic)
Old 09-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
Bus Nut

I agree on all counts. I think if I had to do it all over again I would do a BB flat nose rear engine just do to the space.

Pics of my conversion @ photobucket http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../School%20Bus/
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Quote:
1) - The Lucas-Girling hydraulic brake system. JUNK. Absolute, unadulterated, JUNK. Are they still built this way, and if not, when did they stop? While I have no real preference (my understanding is that CDL is not required for motorhomes, even if they have air brakes), when I go bus shopping, if it is a Ford-chassis, it will be air-brake ONLY.
How old was that thing, I don't think Ford has done this for quite some time.
It was an '89 model. I drove a '96 F650 box truck that had this junk on it as well, and I have not heard of hydraulic-brake Fords being built any other way. Hydro-boost, I can understand to a degree because of diesel engine options, but why not just have a simple engine-driven vacuum pump? :P
IIRC, Ford used the L-G brakes until the cabs changed for 1999. Not just Ford, either: some Freightliners also did...all I have seen were smaller shuttle bus/delivery truck type chassis. Good idea, but the reality of it SUCKED!

Regarding the tilt-front, I think all Internationals since the early 70's had that...so did some Fords and GMC's. (My B700 had a tilt hood.)
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I urge anyone to avoid "forward control" buses. Also known as "flat nose, front engine". That is, the engine inside right next to the driver. I have one, and it is pretty much impossible to do any repair on the left side of the engine -- and that's where much of the stuff that needs repair is located.

So pusher in general, or conventional if you must have a rear cargo opening.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Regarding the tilt-front, I think all Internationals since the early 70's had that...so did some Fords and GMC's. (My B700 had a tilt hood.)
Yes, I remember discussing this with other Ford-chassis owners in my former (and extensive) stint here... I find it strange that other B700s, B600s, and B800s, all seemed to have no rhyme or reason as to conventional-hood style versus a tilt-nose. I saw older B600s that had a tilt-nose, and I saw newer B700s that had a conventional hood.

Personally, I think I just had a battle-scarred bus with a nose transplant from an older F-600/700/800 truck with the conventional hood. It didn't appear to have ever been wrecked though. The odometer read 057xxx, (and yes, it was a six-digit odo) but I believe more like 1,050,xxx - Alluding mainly to the replacement engine. Stands to reason that at some point a factory tilt hood might have been replaced with a conventional-type for lack of funds to order a replacement. "Eh... We've got an '82 sitting back here with a blown engine, let's just swap the nose."

Other than the tilt versus conventional variance, they look the same. And then again, it may have just been an option preference that some Ford chassis were shipped with, others not. I'm honestly wondering if it was an air brake versus hydraulic brake thing. Come to think of it, I've seen one with a 370 gasser and air brakes, with a tilt-nose. I'm not quite sure why that would make the difference, (or why a gasser would be ordered with air brakes) but if anyone can confirm that, would be interesting to know.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #18
Site Team

I've had all three. Flat front rear engine, flat front front engine and a dog nose. My favorite to drive is my International flat front front engine. I've hauled a LOT of crap with it. That's why I bought it. It's 30 feet long with a 13 1/2 foot wheelbase. It drives like a Honda. It is not as quite as the rear engine. The trans sucks(AT545) but I'm still happy I have it. The 40 foot BBAA rear engine is to long for around town driving and many state and fed parks have length restrictions. Elliot is right about being more difficult to work on.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Yes, I remember discussing this with other Ford-chassis owners in my former (and extensive) stint here... I find it strange that other B700s, B600s, and B800s, all seemed to have no rhyme or reason as to conventional-hood style versus a tilt-nose. I saw older B600s that had a tilt-nose, and I saw newer B700s that had a conventional hood.

Personally, I think I just had a battle-scarred bus with a nose transplant from an older F-600/700/800 truck with the conventional hood. It didn't appear to have ever been wrecked though. The odometer read 057xxx, (and yes, it was a six-digit odo) but I believe more like 1,050,xxx - Alluding mainly to the replacement engine. Stands to reason that at some point a factory tilt hood might have been replaced with a conventional-type for lack of funds to order a replacement. "Eh... We've got an '82 sitting back here with a blown engine, let's just swap the nose."

Other than the tilt versus conventional variance, they look the same. And then again, it may have just been an option preference that some Ford chassis were shipped with, others not. I'm honestly wondering if it was an air brake versus hydraulic brake thing. Come to think of it, I've seen one with a 370 gasser and air brakes, with a tilt-nose. I'm not quite sure why that would make the difference, (or why a gasser would be ordered with air brakes) but if anyone can confirm that, would be interesting to know.
My mid-80's Ford had a conventional hood. It was all original. It was probably a manufacturer thing like the International front ends on IC buses vs bluebirds back in the early 2000's. My bus was a Thomas.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:17 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I prefer the looks of the Flat-Nose Blue Bird. Since David got his choice on our first bus, he said I got to choose the second bus (a fact I reminded him that HE said when he decided the Eagle wasn't going to work ). My favourite RV is a pre-1987 Blue Bird Wanderlodge. After 1986, the Wanderlodges started looking like every other RV on the highway. Our All American is a FE. The Eagle had a rear engine and while it was easy to get to, I did not like the single entry point. It is hard to get normal sized appliances in/or the narrow entrance door. With the pusher we HAD to use a emergency hatch/window to escape the rear section of the bus. With a rear emergency door (we kept access to ours), we can, and have, loaded/unloaded all our appliances. For our purposes and use, the front engine is what we prefer. As for the Flat-Nose... that was purely for looks. And I getting too old to be climbing up a ladder to clean the windshield. One size, or one style, does not fit all.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote