Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Dog Nose vs. front engine vs. rear engine?

I just started reading some of the bus conversion books to help make a better decision on what type of bus to buy and how to convert it properly. Question for everyone regarding the three types: Dog Nose, Front Engine Flate Nose and Rear Engine Flat Nose. Which one is the easiest to perform engine work on? One of the books states the rear engines are easiest to work on, but this goes against other things I've read that say Dog Noses are easiest to work on. So which is it?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff
Re: Dog Nose vs. front engine vs. rear engine?

wich ever one has the best engine access covers that wont interfere with the conversion floor plan!

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I've never worked on a rear engine bus, but I would have to think the dog nose is the most accessible. Floor plan and intended use are the factors that usually dictate engine location. Rear engines are quiet but if you want to load things into the back then not a good option. Front engine flat face provides maximum interior space related to length of bus, but they are loud and put off heat into the cabin. Dog nose is also loud, though not as bad, and extends length of bus relative to interior space and also looks the most like a "school bus" after conversion. The flat face buses look more RV-like. I would have chosen rear engine except I didn't want a 40' bus and the rear engine buses only come full size. So given the choice of dog nose and flat face, I went with a dog nose due to the advantages of easy access and less noise/heat. I was willing to sacrifice a bit of interior space, and I kind of like the school bus look, plus I like having an impact buffer zone in case of accident.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1
I... Question for everyone regarding the three types: Dog Nose, Front Engine Flate Nose and Rear Engine Flat Nose... So which is it?
We got a flat faced BlueBird. No planning, that was what was in the paper... never said how big it was. We bought mostly on price. Okay, we bought on price. We needed a moving van. We had $1500 budgeted for the bus. We paid $1400. We did not want a 40 ft bus. We got a 40 ft bus in very good condition. It didn't LOOK like it was 40 ft sitting out in the pasture. It grew on the way home. Now we are recycling the "moving van" into an "RV".
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
Skoolie

Front engine ______ (<---enter vehicle type here) are always loud. You can make them quieter, but they are still loud. They also have 10-25FT of drive shaft.

They do have cool curved steps though!

Rear engine _______ (<--- enter vehicle here) are quieter and can be made very quiet. No driveshaft, longer wheel base compared to a FE (Front engine) due to the weight of the engine hanging out back, which is far past the rear axle. Also less turning radius due to the longer wheels base. But I think a better ride for the same reason.

JMHO.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I have only limited experience with my RE bus but so far from what I have learned.... the rear engine is pretty easy to get to all sides except for the top. The engine noise is very minimal and I think having more weight behind the rear axel makes for a little nicer riding bus.

The pass through under belly storage is awesome. That feature alone is what really sold us on a RE bus.

Overall we are extremely happy with our RE choice.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466

One of the biggest reasons I chose a dognose bus is saftey. If I'm going to hit something or somethings going to hit me, it better have 7 feet of engine and frame to get past first. Most flatnose busses afford no protection for the front occupants in a crash.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

That Volvo tractor seems to have faired pretty well.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender477
ahh , its a meatscraper
...I am guessing your kids were not on the bus.
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Driving position is a factor. I really like the driving position of the dognose I tried out. It's quite a bit like my Class C motor home. Steering wheels in flat-nose rigs are more horizontal. If you or your partner have short arms that might be awkward. I haven't driven a flat-nose but that big windshield looks like it'd have an awesome view.

As for safety, I'd trust a flat-nose bus over an RV. Read the Fatal RV Flaws thread. Also check the that CNN link about the bus crash in Missouri where one Blue Bird shoved another on top of that Volvo semi. To the best of my knowledge, all aboard the buses (including both drivers) survived...except a poor girl who was in the wrong seat at the wrong time when the second bus plowed into the first.

My two cents...