Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC1000
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve, 148k miles
Rated Cap: 25,000 lbs
Thumbs up Very helpful - thanks!

Thanks for the info and pictures. Very helpful. I'll have to check for the space under our BlueBird's doghouse.

I'm also interested to read about swapping out your AT545, which is what ours has. Other than its other known shortcomings, is it also the source of noise. What did you replace it with?

Thanks, Tom

PS - Many possibilities for the brass/gold orb. Based on your Kaiju imagery, maybe Core People egg? Harry Potter's Golden Snitch? Goldmember's golden balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
I wish I had my skoolie when he was still around..

Someone on my thread said I reminded them of him. I had to go back and read up his threads... amazing bloke.

I'm here to try and pick up the slack then.

But it was queer indeed that I am working on this exact project on our Vista and lo and behold do I not see a thread titled "doghouse insulation"

I ended up using that somewhat flame retardant house panel stuff.
and some scrap wood to use as "washers"

the actual doghouse is mad of fiberglass, and has the standard layer of foam and then the rubberized coating.

I covered the house stuff with rubber roofing material I had lying around and came out like this.

Important to note, as Tango point out some doghouses are mad close to hot things. I lucked out again in the vista that under the dog house I have enough room to house an actual dog I would think. I'm a good 10 inches plus from any hot items. There is also plenty of airflow. It's a huge space.

I also have two spare "holes" in the front bumper that I could also use with some kind of 8-10 piping and force air right on my turbo to cool it or just into the space... but I don't think I will need this. The doghouse never really got excessively hot before.

I did this mostly to try to cut down on the noise as much as I can. Swapping out the AT545 helped a lot, so anything more is a bonus.

Also I ended up build this lunch/drink console. It hinges up and the plan was to store towels or spare blankets in there will even further muffle any noise.

then lastly will be to install some more carpet of some kind from the unfinished trim in the photo down to the bottom on the dog house. But the missus has not picked/found what she wants to use yet.

Very pleased so far

bonus points to anyone can figure out what the brass round thing is.

Hint: was in a movie

PDXTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
the trans swap is here

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/t...ons-29535.html

it was here I was directed to Tango's thread