Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Skoolie

Dognose Thomas or Bluebird

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if the Thomas dognose is shorter than the Bluebird. I don't want five feet of engine in front of me, but I can't tell from pictures which one has the shorter nose.

I'm not interested in the P30? if thats what its called, but Thomas looks like it would work for me.

I would like atleast 26 feet of living space.

Thanks for any info,

Jackie

Mulelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83
Re: Dognose Thomas or Bluebird

The overall length is going to depend on the body and how it was ordered. I believe a 71 passenger dognose bus is around 40 feet long.

If you are just refering to the nose... There are different manufacturers of the nose and chassis. (International, Chevy, Ford,) Each one has there own look. Some are more squared off in the front than others giving it a "longer" look.

The chevy p-30 is basically a step van type chassis.

Dan
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Skoolie

Thanks for the replies guys. I was referring to the nose itself. I like the more rounded one it seems shorter than the square one. does anyone know which one that is?

Jackie
Old 02-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Thomas and Bluebird are body styles. The "dognose" of a bus is part of the chassis, not the body, and is thus associated with the chassis manufacturer rather than the body manufacturer. Chassis manufacturers would be International, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Freightliner, etc. Post some pics of the examples you are comparing and someone could probably help you out.

Most people are more concerned about what engine they have in the bus, and certain chassis manufacturers tend to use certain engines. So for instance, I think International chassis buses pretty much always have International engines. The Ford chassis often have cummins engines, the chevy/GMC chassis often have Detroit Diesel, etc.

I have certain asthetic preferences as well, but the type of engine lurking under that hood was the most important factor for me to consider.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison
Rated Cap: 65

I don't think coachwork manufacturer (Bluebird or Thomas, etc) is going to matter in regards to hood length. I do think that the newer (1990+) have a shorter hood, and maybe a little better visibility compared to say a mid-1980s conventional bus. I also think that the Internationals have a nice slope to their hood. The Ford chassis seemed to be pretty much the same from the early 80s until about 95-97, when they were a little more rounded. The Chevy/GMC dognose (hoods) are all about the same for most years past the mid 80s, although the 90s are a bit more rounded.

I think that for what you're wanting to do, Jackie, you should look for a 1992 or newer International of appropriate length. That's just my opinion. I think they would have the least amount of hood, or dognose. Even if it's the same length as any other, they tend to slope a little more than others. I'm thinking something like Diesel Dan's bus. I think Smitty's bus is of that vintage as well. Additionally, those chassis will often have the dt360 or dt466 motors...both solid choices.

As far as coachwork, I'm not familiar with Carpenter, but Bluebird sides go straight up and have a slope in the rear about halfway up. Thomas sides tend to slope and have a straight rear. Ward/Am Tran (I think) is mostly straight sides and rear. I would anticipate a roof raise on a Thomas to be somewhat more difficult, but I don't think you're planning that. I don't know how much tougher it would be to put walls in a Thomas than a Bluebird...if at all. I know that BB has the little "eye brows" over each window where Thomas is just one continuous "uni-brow."

Anyway, those are my opinions and observations. Take 'em for what they cost ya!

Ben.
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Skoolie

Thanks guys I appreciate it.
Jackie