Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Don Brown sales?

Hi, again. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about (Don Brown sales , Buscrazy.net). I live in New York and found this place on line. They have a very large selection, but when I was talking to the guy on the phone he let it slip that they are not aloud to advertise here. Is there something about this place I should be aware of?

Thanks for any input.

djmel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
steve from there ripped through this site with ad after ad for his busses at one time so i think he got banned...

I talked to them when I got my bus.. steve was clueless as he had never sold busses before so he wasnt knowledgeable but was eager and tried to be helpful..

like any dealer (asnd most on this site hate bus dealers.. though I bought mine at a dealer and happy with it.. yes I paid more but it was easy and i got to look at and drive a bunch of busses in one place)... you will pay more at a dealer as they go to the auctions, buy busses like anyone can do then they mark them up...

the busses at don brown look like any other busses.. however he has a ton of the 'VT365' internationals.. with the 6.0 that has had alot of issues.. he also has some nice busses.. if paying higher price at a dealer id definitely be going to look at busses where you can crawl around, test drive them, etc..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Ok thank you
Old 09-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
I bought a bus from them. I found their description less than truthful. If they were down the street, it wouldn't have been a big deal. But I came from California.

As far as them not being able to advertise. I don't believe they asked the site owners. Every time someone asked a question, they were pushing their dealership. They were trying to "help people" they said.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
I bought a bus from them. I found their description less than truthful. If they were down the street, it wouldn't have been a big deal. But I came from California.

As far as them not being able to advertise. I don't believe they asked the site owners. Every time someone asked a question, they were pushing their dealership. They were trying to "help people" they said.

and steve even admitted to me that he knew less about busses in general than i did... I was asking about what transmission was in a bus and he didnt even know where the label was to get me the numbers so I could pull it up on myallison.

what eventually piushed me off was me asking only about short busses WITH A/C and he kept sending me pics and links to long busses without A/C.. or of cutaways when i had specifically said i wanted nothing to do with cutaways... so I gave up on him..

then you are right i saw him just posting in each and every thread over and over..

-Christopher
Old 09-13-2016, 11:16 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmel85 View Post
Hi, again. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about (Don Brown sales , Buscrazy.net). I live in New York and found this place on line. They have a very large selection, but when I was talking to the guy on the phone he let it slip that they are not aloud to advertise here. Is there something about this place I should be aware of?

Thanks for any input.
Govdeals.com
Publicsurplus.com
If you have time and want to do some research.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

@ orichal1984 Thks just found that site I really like it
Old 09-15-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

@ Crazycal , Thanks and good to know sorry for your luck hope it worked out in the end.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:22 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I talked to them after I was given contact info via a FB group. I was/am having a heck of a time finding the bus I want and I was told to call 'right now' and that they had a few of the type of bus I was looking for in stock in my price range.
I called- left a message. Called again the next day. Asked on the FB thread if it was a bad time... a week later I finally got through and not only did they not have that type of bus in my price range, they didn't have *any* short busses available that were from regions without snow or salted roads. Moreover the person I worked with didn't seem to know anything about transmissions or even length of vehicles listed.

It wasn't a great experience from my end. Better than Harlow's Bus sales- that was horrific.
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:00 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbury View Post
I talked to them after I was given contact info via a FB group. I was/am having a heck of a time finding the bus I want and I was told to call 'right now' and that they had a few of the type of bus I was looking for in stock in my price range.
I called- left a message. Called again the next day. Asked on the FB thread if it was a bad time... a week later I finally got through and not only did they not have that type of bus in my price range, they didn't have *any* short busses available that were from regions without snow or salted roads. Moreover the person I worked with didn't seem to know anything about transmissions or even length of vehicles listed.

It wasn't a great experience from my end. Better than Harlow's Bus sales- that was horrific.
let me guess it was steve? if so then he isnt very much a go-getter.. when I talked to them 6 months ago he said he was new and learning busses.. if he still doesnt know busses then thats on him as in 6 months look at what people learn from just reading forums, googling and when you have a whole business full of busses, imagione the busses one could drive, crawl around, etc and truly learn what drivetrains do best in what conditions.. heights, lengths, etc all could be learned fairly quickly id think...

-Christopher
Old 09-25-2016, 07:43 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Someone hook me up with a bus job. I could use a break from construction and landscaping!
I promise I could tell customers what tranny the bus has!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Someone hook me up with a bus job. I could use a break from construction and landscaping!
I promise I could tell customers what tranny the bus has!

you could totally sell busses to people.. you would know what questions to ask for what their use is and steer them t othe correct buslengths, type, height, and drivetrain...

I think don brown is really new at selling to priovaste individuals... they do get some nice busses in but they are geared more for people wanting to run them for transportation.. as opposed to conversion to RV or tiny home..

things like rust and water leaks meanmuch less t osomeone buying a bus to run it as a church bus or a intermediate school bus till it falls apart in 5 or 6 years and gets scrapped...

things like road A/C, good seats, and tinted windows dont mean a thing to the average conversion to RV or home because they will most likely get removed and trashed.. but they are things dealers charge extra for...

auctions dont casre they are auctions.. I dont know the demographics of the bus that a skoolie wants vs the one that an exporter wants.. but im guessing theres competition there.. at least the couple auctions ive watched.. the older all mechanical long busses get bidded up.. multiples of them by the same bidder.. maybe a dealer?? exporter? I doubt individuals are buying 6 busses

i believe there is totally a market for someone who could "broker" busses for a fee but never see them, touch, them, or buy them.. they would simply match the person to the bus, and even make the auction bids, send out inspectors to look them over etc.... match the bus with the person and go..

thats ultimately worth something to the inexperienced person who is looking for a skoolie conversion project.

-Christopher