Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 09:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3500 vandura
Engine: 6.5L GMC
Rated Cap: 16
door handle, roof rack, sealing floor, etc...

Hi all. I've just started the process of tearing apart my mini school bus I bought a month ago. The past two days I pulled the seats and floor out. It went great and it went awful. But it's done. Whew. It was a lot of hard work but boy do I feel better it's done! ( I will post details on what worked best for us in another post to help out other newbies ).

So in the planning stages I'm looking for advice on a few things.

1) Does anyone know where to find a smaller replacement manual hand opener for the out opening entry bi doors? I want to keep that kind of school bus entry but lose the set up thats meant to turn on the lights and takes up the whole front dash. Any ideas on how to make it shorter and not extend out so far?

2) What is the best way to mount a roof rack? I want it pretty solid to possibly hold a spare tire, a couple of kayaks and double as a deck when I feel like watching the sunset. Also, what kind of ladder can be installed on the back to get up to it?

3) With the floor all pulled up and the corrugated steel floor exposed I'm trying to figure out how to install the insulation and wood subfloor. I plan on using rigid foam insulation with furring strips. So after I carefully seal and patch all the holes in the floor from the man many screws in it from the previous flooring and painting it, how do I seal up the new holes from the screws I will put into the furring strips into the steel? Is the new screw in the new hole alone enough to prevent water from coming in? Could I put caulking on the underside of the furring strips and then drive the screw through that and have it seal as the screw drives in? Then, is it okay to screw the plywood subfloor only into the furring strips and not through into the steel floor? Would doug fir be suitable for furring strips?

Any info or advice would be most welcome. I will post pics here in a day or so when I figure out how to do that here.

Thanks,

Jenny

jennynic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door opener, flooring, newbie, roof rack