Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 44
door lock

Hi
For some reason I have a mental block on how to lock the door from the outside that swings out on both sides by the steps. Some guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

pwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Are you saying that you have two doors that open in the middle (and both swing outward) rather than two doors that are attached and fold to the front when open?
I suppose you could have two actuators that run on one controller so a push of the button (key fob) would move the actuator posts up and out of the way. With a hole in the top of each door for the actuator post to go into when locked. It is a variation of the one actuator that I used to lock my door.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I think you're describing a double door, with each leaf half the width of the doorway and set up to swing outward, as opposed to the bi-fold door that pulls inward on many school buses. My bus had a double door like this. It has a rear door too, and that one was equipped with locks that could be operated from the outside, so I had only to find a way to block the front door from the inside to prevent it opening and then enter/exit through the rear.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures and the door is removed now.. Hopefully a written description will do. I looked at the linkage that operated the front door and pondered it. Each door had a fixed arm, and to each arm a tie rod attached with a rod end. I noted that the front-most leaf had to open first because of the way the seals overlapped when closed, and I realized that I could attach something where the bolt through the rod end held to the door arm. I assembled a coupler nut and short piece of threaded rod to replace that bolt; this gave me a threaded socket to work with below the rod arm. Then I made a small sheet metal plate. It attached to an interior panel over the door and extended out so that a hole through this plate aligned directly below the threaded socket of that coupler nut when the door was closed. I could then insert a bolt through the hole in the sheet metal plate and thread it into the coupler nut; this assembly of coupler nut, bolt and plate held the door arm and therefore the one door leaf and prevented it opening. The other door leaf was also held via the tie rod and linkage mechanism.

It sounds like your case is different to mine because you want to operate the lock from the outside. If so then this description isn't directly applicable, but I hope it might help get some ideas going. Maybe the locking plate idea could be adapted, and use an electric solenoid, cable, or linkage-operated locking pin instead of the hand-inserted bolt I used.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
From outside... Padlock and a hasp. From inside - a block of wood wedged by the steps!
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT 466
Rated Cap: 44
Thanks for the ideas. I will have to work up some drawings
pwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
We have a 1993 International DT360 so yours might be the same as ours. Our door is controlled by a key on the outside that activates a switch and the doors are on a chain mechanism inside. So to lock it you just remove the key. I felt dumb when the guy I bought the bus from told me that after I asked.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 12
My 89 Bluebird has the folding door so I put a slide-bolt on the door that slides down past the edge of the step and has a hole in the top so it can be locked. I can shoot a pic of it tomorrow if that would help?

Mike
mikeacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Sounds interesting. I have a folding door and I'm looking at options too. My door has an opening control operated from the drivers seat that locks the door. It's a spring flap.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:56 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
On a related note, how does everyone lock their back door? Mine's just the turn handle on the outside and the arm handle on the inside. It would be nice to have something more nuanced than a padlock, and operational from inside as well.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Simple. My back door lock is a straightforward house door lock.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #11
Bus Nut

This is the side door lock but its the same kind of lock, keyed the same.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I use a velcro strip wrapped around the inside handle and that safety brace that it is next to. The outside handle won't move with the inside strap in place. If someone wants in, they will find another way.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

+1 for the HolyBus solution. In the case of my former bus, there was a long lever with a fixed guard around it; I just wrapped a piece of wire around the two to prevent the lever being moved. On the rare occasion when that door needed to open I could go in the front door and un-bar the back door from the inside.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #14
Bus Nut

My doors lock and unlock from outside and inside for safety. I've yet to install anything on the front door. I can latch it by slamming the door but unlatching it is a problem!
Old 08-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

I have the traditional lever that locks the front door from the inside and a padlock on the outside, the side door with the wheelchair lift has a lock and the back door I put a slider bolt on the inside. ..
Bussin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438804867489.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	8117this is what keeps the door shut on the inside. By slamming the door from the outside, I can lock it. I might even put a pull on the outside to make locking easier. What I'm trying to devise is a way of opening that with a key from the outside. I'm thinking of some form of solenoid.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

I haven't personally touched that style of linkage/latch. But here's a solenoid to help get the creative juices started: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10391
The commentary on the product web page indicates it doesn't necessarily have to run at 36V; 12V still gives some action (see the demo video).
Old 08-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #18
Bus Nut

One of my ideas is two electro magnets in opposition, attached to the lever via some aluminum for extra lifting power. Probably run it off a pack of D cells.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephod_beeblebrox2 View Post
From outside... Padlock and a hasp.
Please don't do this.

Unless you want to get locked in your own bus when you least expect it.

That handy hasp hanging there is just too tempting to some.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #20
Bus Nut

It could always be padlocked open with a second loop!