Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Door locks?

Hay do has i did ,,,drill a hole thought the long bar on the inside of the door ( the red one and put a padlock there or just remove the handel from the door,you can still put it back in when you want to use it.....keith

on the 93 tc the front door has a lock on the bottom ????

keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

I plan on tacking 2 short pieces of 1.5x1.5 square tubing on the outside of the bus on either side of the door (not the door itself) then I will run a 1x1 square tube through it. The 1x1 will have a flate plate on one side so it will only pull out in one direction and a hole that I will drill a hole and put a lock through on the other side. My back door is from a camper with a dead bolt.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtram
Engine: Navstar 190
Rated Cap: 77

Here is how we did it.

A simple hose clamp- crude yet effective
Old 06-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Here's another lock. This door seemed to fold outward instead of into the cabin like most buses I've seen. It was on a Ford... don't know if that makes a difference. I was more curious about how he locked the door instead of the bus itself. I also couldn't tell if it opened in the middle, or if it just opened funny.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
Bus Nut

If someone wants to get into your bus, he can. Install a very loud siren...........
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Silly question, Is it possible to hook the alarm into the airhorn on the outside??? I keep having an idea of mounting a 5chime horn from a Train into a car...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Skoolie

Locks only keep the honest people honest.... I don't have anything worth stealing..
Old 06-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Skoolie

I have considered just bracing the door- might do somthing like that when we are stoppng overnight someplace.

Bad owners make bad dogs- Any of the Bull breeds are great dogs, you have to try and make them mean. We had a Boxer/bull for 11 years, she was just a goofy, happy go lucky lumox that didn't have a mean bone in her body. To the day she died her little bobbed tail never stopped wagging. We have a minature lab who is going on 16, the best dog I have ever had. When his time comes- don't think I can have another.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
Silly question, Is it possible to hook the alarm into the airhorn on the outside??? I keep having an idea of mounting a 5chime horn from a Train into a car...
Yes. most alarms have a 12v output that powers the horn. You can replace it with any horn you want. If you are using a massive horn, though, you might want a 12v relay switch, as I'm not sure that the power output from the alarm can power a huge horn. Also, a lot of alarms have a horn output that is designed to honk the horn while the alarm is blaring.

Ok. I took a very different approach to everyone here, and I am quite pleased. I keep my back door locked with a padlock, and the front door closed with the stock door latch(that can be opened from the inside). We then have an alarm with a motion sensor so that any movement inside the bus sets it off. I installed an 8" actuator in the opener bar (that goes from the door to the driver handle), that we hooked up to the door-lock outputs of the alarm(via a relay timer to get the timing right). This is set up so that when you turn off the alarm with the remote, the door opens, and when you turn on the alarm, the door closes. We also have switches inside the bus that can open and close the door as well as an electric key outside that can toggle the state of the door without arming the alarm. When I walk away from the bus, I just arm the alarm, and it closes the door for me, disarming opens the door, and I use the switch once inside to close it without re-arming. So far it's been really nice.
icnivad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins "C"
Rated Cap: 89

JimmyAustinTX...

Thanks for the great front door pictures. That is just what I was looking for. Our biggest exposure will be while we are at llama shows and in the barn and show ring during the day but show attendance is unfortunately low enough to not have much foot traffic around so I think the combination of the hasps up front and the household door lock on the rear emergency exit should cover it. Our worst exposure would be at the Iowa State Fair.
llamaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

Buddy of mine has one of these on his handicap doors, which is up front. I can't remember how he locks the others, but when he leaves, he exits and enters through this door. I don't think I have any pics of it specifically, but here you can see what it's like.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Engine: 466

Does anyone else have an exterior lock like this?I've been wondering how common this is.No lever,the door operates solely on electric.Any bad experiences,besides dead batteries?
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0003.JPG  
Funkpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Heres my super genius rear door lock. A carriage bolt and 2 springs from True Value Hardware and a hole drilled in the door lever guard. The front door is just the regular door knob lock for an RV.
LOL on a side note... You can see a silver car mirror on the bottom right of one of the pictures. That would be my moms Caddilac Deville sitting right behind the bus. When I opened the rear door to take these pictures, the bottom of the rear door was inches above the hood of the Caddy. (Shhhhh our secret).
Attached Thumbnails
rear lock open.JPG   rear lock closed.JPG   IMG_0784.JPG  

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:11 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkpirate
Does anyone else have an exterior lock like this?I've been wondering how common this is.No lever,the door operates solely on electric.Any bad experiences,besides dead batteries?
That's what solar panels are for
So I can only leave the bus on sunny days?
Funkpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Perhaps a small battery and solar panel just for the door lock? I guess I am thinking of a UPS for the door lock.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
Skoolie

I wouldn't think that a door lock and electric door would kill a battery. If it does that's one hell of a door lock. Might as well go ahead and electrify the bus body.

Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummings

Pic of the lock I built. Not as fancy as some, but to each your own.

The simple square tubing. Obviously the center slides to one side or the other once the lock is removed.

Scratchy
Attached Thumbnails
Lock.jpg  
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

My front door lock is a padlock on the outside with an extra loopy thing so I can lock it open or closed. The back door on the other hand is just a piece of PVC pipe cut to fit over the handle and notched to slide tightly over the locking mechanism. I know I have a pic here somewhere of the front door, I will try to get a pic of the rear. Oh, and to lock the front door while inside, I just wrap a bungee cord around the handle and secure it to the dash. That way no one can 'pop' the front door open while I am sleeping inside. This pic is an OLD one taken before I finished priming the bus. I think I was showing off the porch light I had just installed. BTW - The porch light works AWESOME...lights up the whole campsite at night. It was a universal reverse light from a truck supply store.
Attached Thumbnails
photo-1.jpg  
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66

I was worried about securing the doors on my new Bluebird 1998 TC2000 bus. Turns out they have factory kits to take care of this. I ordered the one for the double door in the front, another for the battery box door, and a third that even supplied a locking fuel door to install on the opening on the side of my bus. I'll post some photos after I get them installed.

Bill
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Love the ideas. We've done the padlock bit on previous rides. Drilling out the screws so they can't be unscrewed, locking the latch in open position so vandals can't lock us in, etc. Might go that route this time but looking over the forums there are so many other ways to do a locking system. Will have to think about it now, darn it!
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote