Old 11-11-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
Skoolie

Door..moving, changing?

I'm thinking I want a bus that doesn't look like a bus when it' done..so the entrance door has to change.

Anyone move the door on a FE back behind the front wheel?

What door options exist that look good?
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 84
I've seen a few buses on her with the door moved, so you should get some ideas. I just wanted to point out that you can move the door all you want, but it is still going to look like a school bus...
Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Skoolie

transit (flat nose) less so than a conventional.
School buses seem simpler to me, less foreign so to speak,than an OTR coach, which are bigger and come with basements in them.

So i'm still torn..

I have a cargo trailer I use for sports photography and need something for my DJ biz...been weighting the options of a van, truck or second cargo trailer..none are perfect solutions.

A fullsize shorty bus is looking good- have to change the rear door to make it more cargo friendly, thinking elec tailgate to get things to/from the ground. Here a traditional door is fine and would work for this application.

My company colors are black and gold..so no repaint needed! LOL. And it gets me some experience owning/maintaing a bus.

But since i've got a 28' TT with a 'normal rv' door and i like that, like RV windows over schoolie windows I'm thinking a full size conversion would entail a lot of bodywork anyway -I want basements, maybe a higher ceiling too. MOving a door shouldn't be too difficult and you get a front passenger seat and some flexibility on interior layout.

Not sure what it would take to 'reskin' the exterior - rv siding, plastic or such. Cost and time and is the effort worth it? If you know how it's easy...like most things.

Would depend on my desires..time and money - and do I want a theme to it..retro, cabin, modern, etc. I like sailing...I like trains..I like art deco..I like modern..

Have to get some time behind the wheel of a big prevost or mci before i make a major commitment, er, decision.

In for a penny, in for a pound, right?
prof.fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof.fate View Post
Not sure what it would take to 'reskin' the exterior - rv siding, plastic or such. Cost and time and is the effort worth it? If you know how it's easy...like most things.
It's not difficult. I did my entire roof raise and reskin with one helper. Took a little time and about 1k in materials for both the raise and the re-skin. All you need is a rivet gun, rivets, a drill and some ladders. I had very minimal sheet metal skills when I started, mostly related to HVAC ducting and mine turned out great.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/so...d-12273-3.html
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I'd Love to figure out a way to make the door on my old carpenter Power like the one on my newer Bluebird... not having that door handle and bars N such makes for a really nice clean dashboard..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Try and find Jack's ("Ol' Trunt") build thread. He fabbed a great power door on his '35 Chevy.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote