Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

DOT weigh stations

I just purchased a bus and plan on driving it 800 miles from Pennsylvania to Maine. Does a school bus with the school bus signs removed have to stop at DOT weigh stations?

Dj349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
as far as I know it does not. I have never seen one stop, they go right by without any one going after them.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Weigh stations are for commercial vehicles.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Don't stop.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
The first dozen or so that I drove past had me watching my rearview for party lights. Nobody paid me any mind.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you for the help. I'm hoping for a trouble free trip.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
groups of us caravan in our busses to events / gathering.. sometimes some of the busses in our groups are still actual owner / operated school busses and we never stop.. their owners say its not necessary for school busses..

im guessing if you are a transporter who is being paid to drive a bus from one place to another now it is being operated in a for-commerce mannewr and is required.. ive seen them at Weight stations before..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Low Floor Bus
Engine: Cummins ISL diesel 540 cu in
Rated Cap: 32
I just brought home my bus Friday. Thursday night, while in the motel, I went to all of the states I was going to go through to see if I could find information regards weigh stations, etc. I was unsuccessful in getting any real information and most was confusing, bus sites were worse, then I found this.

So, I used it as a guide. Best info I could find.

I realize, this is probably for charter (commercial) buses, but at 65 miles per hour, whizzing by the weigh station, they may stop you to find out what you're up to, and then that just opens up the can of worms regards safety equipment, etc.

BaconFarms
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jurisdictional-Map-Bus-Inspection-Stop-Requirements.pdf (605.5 KB, 41 views)
BaconFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
PA to ME I don't think you'll have any problem bypassing weigh stations. There are a few states that explicitly include buses weigh but to the best of my recollection none are in the NE. Missouri has signs at each weigh station stating buses (busses) weigh.

In actuality weigh stations serve different purposes for different states. Besides weight legality, there's also a number of permits and equipment standards that some states are more picky than others. For instance, NY state has a HUT sticker required on all commercial vehicles but a school bus probably not so you should be able to slip by. If caught, delete your phone's browser history of this site and feign ignorance!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:25 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I think:

If you don't have a commercial tag on your vehicle, i.e. you do have a temp travel tag or personal vehicle tag (whether or not is a MH/RV tag), and you don't have a bus full of passengers, they are not going to stop you.

If you have no tag, or an "I just purchased this vehicle" tag, expect to be pulled over and asked for sales paperwork, etc., and then in some states, yes, inspections.

Just get a temp travel tag from whatever state you can...
AZ gave me one that lasted 3 months for only $15 !!!!
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:12 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
It depends on how it's registered and what state your in.
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:31 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Now I'm wondering how it's going to work out when we take our bus to Texas in a few months.... Currently still registered as a private bus. Our route will take us through Mississippi
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I made it home with no problems at all or at least until I pulled into my driveway and turned the key off the horn and lights started going off after about 5 mins they stopped I tried to start it again and the horn started blowing again. I unhooked the horn for now until I can figure it out. I'm assuming its a security feature of some kind but don't know how to disable it.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
its probably some child protection thingy. There are systems to keep from leaving kids in the bus.
just a guess.
good to hear you made it ok!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:24 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj349 View Post
I made it home with no problems at all or at least until I pulled into my driveway and turned the key off the horn and lights started going off after about 5 mins they stopped I tried to start it again and the horn started blowing again. I unhooked the horn for now until I can figure it out. I'm assuming its a security feature of some kind but don't know how to disable it.
Yes, it's the safety system designed to force drivers to check for sleeping kiddos. Hopefully there is a sticker up on the wall near the driver that explains the process for clearing this. It should only be activated if the yellow/red warning lights were turned on during the trip.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
It should only be activated if the yellow/red warning lights were turned on during the trip.
Ours are activated when you use the brake pedal or have the engine idling for longer than 15 minutes.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
its probably some child protection thingy. There are systems to keep from leaving kids in the bus.
just a guess.
good to hear you made it ok!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
Yes, it's the safety system designed to force drivers to check for sleeping kiddos. Hopefully there is a sticker up on the wall near the driver that explains the process for clearing this. It should only be activated if the yellow/red warning lights were turned on during the trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
Ours are activated when you use the brake pedal or have the engine idling for longer than 15 minutes.

Basically the system has a button in the back of the bus the driver has to push. The idea is for the driver to have to actually walk through the bus and check for sleepy kids, left behind belongings, etc. There have been cases where the driver walked through the bus and pushed the button but managed to leave sleeping kiddos on the bus anyway, likely focused on "getting off work" and their next errand, rather than the 90 seconds it would take to do this task.

I'm not sure how easy this system would be to remove, but the button could be easily relocated to the driver's panel.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
The procedure to clear the alarm does differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. Most of the newer ones have the button at the back, but I've driven some where you had to open the emergency door. Hopefully the sticker is still there to describe it.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Does anyone know how to remove this safety feature on a 2008 international ce200 bus? I'd like to remove the safety alarm on the back door but if I remove it I won't be able to reset the alarm.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Does anyone know how to remove this safety feature on a 2008 international ce200 bus? I'd like to remove the safety alarm on the back door but if I remove it I won't be able to reset the alarm.
It's either an open or closed switch, figure out which it is, remove the device and either cap the wires or connect them.