Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Where the road takes me
Posts: 75
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Dreaded "click" no ignition.

I got the dreaded start "click" with no ignition. I didn't do anything to the bus except charge the battery. Checked all the safety doors to make sure it wasn't that. Thoughts?
Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 1,071
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartbus View Post
I got the dreaded start "click" with no ignition. I didn't do anything to the bus except charge the battery. Checked all the safety doors to make sure it wasn't that. Thoughts?
Put a volt meter across you battery terminals. With no load it won't tell you much but maybe you cooked your batteries. I at least get a buzzer for the doors and what not. Then move to the fuses.


Good luck.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 3,875
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Did you accidentally put your bus in "Park"?

I've noticed when people are in my bus looking at the driver's area, the shifter seems to frequently end up in park.
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Where the road takes me
Posts: 75
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Buzzer works, lights on, dash works just clicks.
Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:37 AM   #5
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Where the road takes me
Posts: 75
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Did you accidentally put your bus in "Park"?

I've noticed when people are in my bus looking at the driver's area, the shifter seems to frequently end up in park.
Clicks in neutral, reverse, and drive. My bus doesn't have a park.
Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 3,875
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Yeah, I know there's no park. That's the issue. I'll occasionally find my transmission in reverse if someone else has been around.

So if all the hatches and doors are ok, it's got to be electrical. Have you cleaned your ground wire attachment point to the frame? Cleaned the battery terminals? I know that's basic, but I like to start with the free or cheap fixes. Not that many people clean their ground connections.

Sometimes the ground connection will let enough power through for the dash to look normal, but not enough power for the starter.
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 1,071
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartbus View Post
Clicks in neutral, reverse, and drive. My bus doesn't have a park.
^This. No Park in mine either. Every once in awhile it bites me in the ass. I don't use e-brakes in my cars. Oh $hit the bus is still moving.


All the right buzzers and a click when turning the starter over tells me you aren't getting any current to the starter. Measure the voltage. Dollar to donuts it reads under 12 volts. A healthy battery should be 12.8-13.4. On charging, it should be 13.4 to as high as 14.2
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Essex, MD
Posts: 1,071
Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, AT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Yeah, I know there's no park. That's the issue. I'll occasionally find my transmission in reverse if someone else has been around.

So if all the hatches and doors are ok, it's got to be electrical. Have you cleaned your ground wire attachment point to the frame? Cleaned the battery terminals? I know that's basic, but I like to start with the free or cheap fixes. Not that many people clean their ground connections.

Sometimes the ground connection will let enough power through for the dash to look normal, but not enough power for the starter.
I don't even know where mine is. I still need to add a kill switch to eliminate any possible leakage current.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ont, Can.
Posts: 233
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Another electrical problem and you haven't figured out the other probs yet.

I asked for pics of the back of the yellow box for that issue, no response.

No meter, what can we do?

How old is the battery and the cables for it? Never been replaced yet I think.

What do you assume is clicking? The starter or the different solenoids being energised when the key is turned to start? The bus shouldn't start in reverse anyway if automatic trans.
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Where the road takes me
Posts: 75
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Figured it out, a teeny tiny lil wire was loose.
Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.