adamanderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Bus Crazy
Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: driveline, tip to tail and in between stories

this is not a skoolie story,but it will be told i used to have a 64 buick skylark ragtop it was a sunny summer day so 4 of us jumped in and went to long beach here on van isle 3/4 of the way there through the rock cliffs on 1 side and the river below on the other,my drivers side rear axle exited out of the housing at 60 mph the back of the car dropped down and the brakes dissapeared. i managed to steer the car over to the side and i could see the wheel sticking out of the car in the back of my eye.very scary. after a large tow bill ans stuffing 4 people into a tow truck with a driver, i went home turfed the 10 bolt rear end with the bolt in axles and installed a 12 bolt with the c-clips this is part of the reason i am foliclly challenged and short of underwear. and its true open cars enhance the experience! bald but alive,timbuk!
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:44 AM   #13
Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84
Re: driveline, tip to tail and in between stories

I was driving a semi from Los Angeles to Oakland, Cal in the late '60s and had a load of tar paper on the trailer, I got to Manteca, Ca and was turning around in a truckstop to park and grab a bite to eat. Halfway thru my turnaround, the steering wheel literally came off the shaft. I took the steering wheel into the truckstop and told the owner I may be blocking part of his driveway till the boss can get there and repair it in the morning. I was so glad that that did'nt happen while I was driving 60 mph, that I forgot why I stopped and never did get my meal.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote