Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Bus Geek

driver/passenger opening doors

So as we continue to plan one thing is a gimmie.
We will move bus door down the side and have side by side seating....so my question is??
Has anyone made doors on the front for driver and passenger to open and climb down "out of the cab"?
I was thinking very simple doors(like a duece or old jeep)using bear claw type latches and steps made into the body...
Any pics?
TIA

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: driver/passenger opening doors

I'm just finishing up my door project pictures are here toward the bottom of page.
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtop...=9827&start=15

I'm just finishing up the electric lock.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

I put an rv door around 6 feet in front of the passenger rear duals, cut out the front steps and put my generator in there. so, if you don't want the original steps i imagine you could carefully cut them out and use them in your new entry area.. I think in mine, the steps were around 8 1/4 high each, and the original ones were also. The new base for mine is in the right rear compartment, so i built two steps, and framed them in.
Main reason i elimated front door is that i now can put in a front flat floor that if i remember right is 5' x 9'. and second, for about 20 years, i have preferred a center door for entry.
In this type of bus that has a truck frame, you can pretty much put doors anywhere you like.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Bus Geek

actually I plan to skin passenger side and rebuild floor so it is level and actually move an RV type door down the side.

So at this point cab area floor will be level across, add a passenger seat and move all the crap from the drivers wall to a center console and or overhead console

I am planning on puting two doors that have the bottoms level with the floor when opened and maybe 3 steps recessed into the skinned side,so you reach up and open door and then climb into the front cab area
Old 01-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Bus Geek

something like this,sorry for poor paint skills

And I will do the same type of rv door move as this awesome bus also
Old 01-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e

It looks like PDBreske has a driver side door.

Alex and Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex and Angie
It looks like PDBreske has a driver side door.

Kool...thank you
Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Cornbinder 466
Rated Cap: 71

Bansil,
Thanks, that's my bus. If you have a flat front bus like mine most of the cab structure is hanging out in front of the wheels. There needs to be a lot of skin on the sides in those areas that you are thinking about cutting out for doors on both sides. If you look at this style of bus some of them seem to sag over time. I know some will say that there is a frame under it to support it but they still seem to sag to me. Your driver and passenger areas are sitting outside of the frame rails, I like having as much protection in the form of steel that I can get. Also if you were to have doors on both sides and take a hard front hit, they would tend to open up and leave you with no support surrounding you. I have been very happy with just moving the entry door back where I did. It opens up more useable space on the passenger side. I would not cut doors out in the front if it were me. It will take you more time than the end result will be worth. Once you get into doing one of these you are going to just want to get out and use it.
Tracy
Newfiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiedogs
Bansil,
Thanks, that's my bus. If you have a flat front bus like mine most of the cab structure is hanging out in front of the wheels. There needs to be a lot of skin on the sides in those areas that you are thinking about cutting out for doors on both sides. If you look at this style of bus some of them seem to sag over time. I know some will say that there is a frame under it to support it but they still seem to sag to me. Your driver and passenger areas are sitting outside of the frame rails, I like having as much protection in the form of steel that I can get. Also if you were to have doors on both sides and take a hard front hit, they would tend to open up and leave you with no support surrounding you. I have been very happy with just moving the entry door back where I did. It opens up more useable space on the passenger side. I would not cut doors out in the front if it were me. It will take you more time than the end result will be worth. Once you get into doing one of these you are going to just want to get out and use it.
Tracy
Thanks for the perfect picture Lisa is actually liking the dog noses over the flat fronts....so..my plans have changed...this will be done on a dognose

atleast my wife is now onboard the bus idea
Old 01-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Almost There

Just as long as you let HER make the final decision on what you get she should be happy...and then you will have only one person to blame.
Tracy
Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
Bus Geek

that statment is what is going to make our build alittle different than others...
She likes to sleep comfy and cook/eat.....so don't look for a lot of "social gathering" space in our build...that's what the outdoors is for!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
Almost There

Hey,
After all that is what makes these so much fun, you get to build it the way you want, and then tear it out and change it.
Tracy
Old 01-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Rather painfully, I have learned to do it right the first time then you don't have to rip it out. I do it right the first time, then change my mind and rip it out.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e

You might look into getting some doors off of an International 4800 or similar truck. It looks to me like the doors on the Internationals are flat, which would make them relatively easy to install. The main thing is that you wouldn't have to build doors and they would have hinges, latches and roll down windows!
Alex and Angie is offline   Reply With Quote